Tranny ID

Tranny ID

CJ jammin

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
96 Cherokee Sport, 4.0 HO, 3.5" lift, AFE CAI, SYE & 2Low transfer case conversions, double cardan drive shaft from a Grand Cherokee.
80 CJ7, 304 w/Edlebrock carb, Dana 300 TC, SR4 transmission, 4" spring lift up front, shackle lift on the rear. Hooker headers and Flowmaster exhaust. Hard top. Full cage. My new project.
I've been trying to ID my transmuission. I looked up the Transmission pics and shift patterns for the ones that came on CJ's. What I have doesn't match any of those. Reverse is all the way to the left, push down on the lever, then forward. Come out of reverse, then forward is first. Second is below first. Third is is right & forward. Fourth is below third. Any ideas?:confused:

I've been trying to ID my transmuission. I looked up the Transmission pics and shift patterns for the ones that came on CJ's. What I have doesn't match any of those. Reverse is all the way to the left, push down on the lever, then forward. Come out of reverse, then forward is first. Second is below first. Third is is right & forward. Fourth is below third. Any ideas?:confused:

Sounds like a SR4
You don't normally see them behind a V8, being as it is very weak.
I imagine there was either va engine or Transmission swap some where in it's life.
With Jeeps you never know what you liable to find.:rolleyes:

SR4 stands for Single Rail 4 Speed.

Thanks, I hadn't seen any reference to that model. The one I did find was a T-10. Has kind of a tall 1st gear?

Thanks, I hadn't seen any reference to that model. The one I did find was a T-10. Has kind of a tall 1st gear?

A T-10 was never offered in a Jeep CJ, I swapped a T-10/ 375 HP 327ci Rochester RamJet mechanical FI motor into a CJ2a back when I was Young & dumb.
A T-10 is a lot stronger than a SR4 , think old muscle car Transmission when you think of the T-10.
Here's some info from the "Novak" site:
The Novak Guide to the
Borg-Warner SR4 Transmission
The Borg Warner SR4 Transmission was a standard shift, four-speed Transmission found in 1980 to 1981 Jeep CJ models. It is a light-duty Transmission found behind the GM 151 Iron Duke I4 and the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l I6.
This Transmission is popularly replaced with the SM420 and SM465 transmissions, since they share a similar bellhousing bolt pattern and compact installations.
Features
The SR4 is a top loaded, top shifting Transmission with the shifter being located in the rear section of the Transmission . The SR4 is fully synchronized in the first through fourth gears. All gears are helically cut.
Identification
The SR4 Transmission case is 9-1/4" long in addition to its 6" shifter / tailhousing assembly; for a 15-1/4" total length. It features a cast aluminum top cover that is retained by eleven bolts and a main case of cast aluminum.
The Jeep SR4 has a 23 spline output shaft for connecting to the Transfer Case input shaft. The Transmission has a 7-1/2" input shaft (stick-out length). AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l I6 engine versions have a 1-1/8" x 10 splines. The GM 151 I4 engine version has a 1" x 14 spline input shaft.

Typical Borg Warner casting numbers found on the SR4 are 13-32 for six-cylinder Jeeps and 13-40 for four-cylinder Jeeps.
RF D9ZR-7222-AA
13-32-097-90
13-40-097-902
The shifter cane is curved, instead of having an angular bend like the T-176 . The SR4 is the predesessor to the T-4 & T-5 , so they look similar and are occasionally confused.

Transfer Case Compatability
The Jeep SR4 was factory-married to the Jeep Dana Spicer Model 300 Transfer Case .
Because this Transmission is lighter-duty, we do not make adapter assemblies to join it to other transfer cases.
Bellhousing Adaptability
AMC Jeep
As the SR4 was married to the Jeep engines mentioned above, it is OEM compatible with them.
GM
Because of the Transmission 's service record behind stock Jeep powerplants, we do not offer any conversion to V6 or V8 power. This is essentially a small car Transmission in a truck. The customer's time and efforts are best spent converting to a stronger Transmission . These details are discussed in this article.

That's where I found info on the T-10 was the hotrod forums. It has a ratherlong tailpiece too. I'll look at my VIN and check the cross-reference and get the casting numbers off the side of the tranny and verify. Maybe the AMC 304 was transplanted in. :chug: Guess I see about a new one after this one blows up.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info. Turns out it is an SR4 . Works good for now. Looks like a good excuse to start shopping for a T-18 or 19. :chug:

Thanks for the info. Turns out it is an SR4 . Works good for now. Looks like a good excuse to start shopping for a T-18 or 19. :chug:
Glad to help.
Old Jeeps go through a lot of changes in their lifetimes.
I have a rig with a swapped in T-18 & another with a T-19.
I love them both.
If you get lucky you may find the elusive Unicorn aka. the Scout T-19 Dana 300 combo, or the Jeep CJ T-18 Dana 20 combo.
More than likely you'll end up with a 2wd Ford T-18 0r T-19 & a Novak or A/A adapter.
Good Luck

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom