Tranny swap Clutch question

Tranny swap Clutch question

tvince

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ7
I am putting a T-176 tranny in a 78 CJ7 / AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l in place of the T-150 and am afraid of overcomplicating the clutch issue.I know I'm going from a 1 1/16 th to a 1 1/8 10 spline plate but I plan on replacing the pressure plate (cover) as well I've been told I could have a 10.5 or 11 inch setup now. which I wouldn't know till I pull it out for the swap. But if I'm replacing the PP and disk as long as they match in dia and are for a 78 to 86 CJ w/ the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l it should be fine.....right? I see centerforce has a 10.4" again as long as the plate, spline, and pp match in dia it'll work.
While I'm here about the throw-out bearing what is the determing factors the x-mission bearing cap, the fork just looking for thoughts.

I am putting a T-176 tranny in a 78 CJ7 / AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l in place of the T-150 and am afraid of overcomplicating the clutch issue.I know I'm going from a 1 1/16 th to a 1 1/8 10 spline plate but I plan on replacing the pressure plate (cover) as well I've been told I could have a 10.5 or 11 inch setup now. which I wouldn't know till I pull it out for the swap. But if I'm replacing the PP and disk as long as they match in dia and are for a 78 to 86 CJ w/ the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l it should be fine.....right? I see centerforce has a 10.4" again as long as the plate, spline, and pp match in dia it'll work.
While I'm here about the throw-out bearing what is the determing factors the x-mission bearing cap, the fork just looking for thoughts.

If the clutch & pp match & have the right slpines, the flywheel should be drilled for both sizes so your good to go. As usual bigger is better.
Don't forget to have the flywheel resurfaced.

I would be willing to bet lunch you have an 11" clutch. The CRS won't let me tell you why I think this is true but something I read said that the 10.5 is a very small possibility. Of course if I am wrong you have to come to Dallas to collect and if right I will have to go to KCMO.:D

Thanks for the pic that sure helps nice to know so I can order and have the new clutch setup in hand to shorten my down time!
Thanks for the good info!

Thanks for the pic that sure helps nice to know so I can order and have the new clutch setup in hand to shorten my down time!
Thanks for the good info!

Glad to help, that's what we're here for.:cool:

Last edited:
I guess thats just something else to make you say "Hmmmmm".

The bigger the clutch, the more surface area.
The more surface area, the better the bite.
I guess the small one cost less & weighs less.;)

The 10.5 has less clamping power and will have a slightly lower pedal pressure. The advantage is to the 11inch for a 4wheel drive:chug:

If the clutch & pp match & have the right slpines, the flywheel should be drilled for both sizes so your good to go. As usual bigger is better.
Don't forget to have the flywheel resurfaced.

Well I got a 10.5 inch clutch / pressure plate and I see no other option on the flywheel.
Just FYI

I would be willing to bet lunch you have an 11" clutch. The CRS won't let me tell you why I think this is true but something I read said that the 10.5 is a very small possibility. Of course if I am wrong you have to come to Dallas to collect and if right I will have to go to KCMO.:D

Well next time I'm in Texas I'll have to take you up on that lunch I got a 10.5 and dont see an 11 in option?

Well I got a 10.5 inch clutch / pressure plate and I see no other option on the flywheel.
Just FYI

Sorry if I gave you any problems.
The engine in my wife YJeep is out of a 78'CJ & it had both sets of holes in it's fly wheel.
I have heard it said that AMC never made two alike.:rolleyes:

Nope no problems here havent ordered anything yet the 176 rebuild went quicker than anticapated and the tranny / xfer case etc came out quick and easy!
So tmro order it up hope to have it installed next weekend then order the driveshafts. then take the top off and enjoy the summer!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom