Tranny/t-case removal

Tranny/t-case removal

kicknjeep

Old Time Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ, 1976 CJ-5 2 seater
OK so started up the 'ol girl this morning and drove her around the field (yes I am talking about the Jeep). it shifted like :dung: and there was an aweful sound from the tranny. so I drained the fluids, insert dunch cap for not changing the fluids when I first got her. I believe that is the golden rule, anyway there was more "Water" in both Transfer Case and tranny than there was oil. I went ahead and pulled both and am in the process of cleaning and will replace gaskets/seals. the gears look great so I should be OK on them. And in case you are wondering the PO actually told me he just changed them after his last outing and before I came to pick her up.
So lesson learned......If you buy a used vehicle and people tell you the first thing you should do is change all fluids.......LISTEN!.

Go ahead flame suit on :p

If your jeep is a 76-79 with the three speed it would have more than likely had a recall on the tranny anyways so dont feel so bad. The factory put some rear trannys seals in backward if at all my 79 didnt have one at all sooo that explained why id fill my tranny up with oil check it later and it was low again primarily because the tcase swallowed it all. I gota rebuild kit from quadratec was enexpensive had all gaskets seals bearings and synchros and a new rear seal big plus took me a day to do it cleaned and redone.

funny thing is PO Fubared pretty much everything else up so common sense should have told me to check every little thing!. It's all good and feels great to be working on the Girl again. And hey at least I know the rear main seal is not leaking, I have changed it 3 times thinking I was screwing the seal up somehow.

If you buy a used vehicle and people tell you the first thing you should do is change all fluids.......LISTEN!.

Go ahead flame suit on :p

Good Point. Sellers lie. Assume no maintenance has been done.

OK so gears in tranny are pretty much fubared, was thinking on replacing with another type. what would be a good swap from T-150 ?. would the T-176 -177 be a better option?. All opinions welcome!. will see some street but mostly trails. TIA.

A CJ from the '70s mainly used on trails.
T-18 for sure.
A jeep T-18 would be an easy, direct bolt in swap.

Let me rephrase that: A jeep T-18 would be an easy, direct bolt in swap IF you don't get a T-18 with a long input shaft.
Take a look at this picture. If the T-18 has a factory adapter behind the bellhousing then you have the long input shaft. This was often used on full sized jeeps. You would have to swap it out with a short input shaft.

Attachments

• t18.jpg
    t18.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 2,200
Quick question, does anybody have a pic of the 1st/reverse gear assembly both engaged and disengaged?. i have seen a dozen without showing the whole bottom gear and was wondering if mine is worn or is there supposed to be different depth in the splines. Sorry but computer is not letting me upload a pic to show you the gear but is the smaller one at the end of the inside of the case to the rear if that makes sense.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom