tranny to bellhousing problems

tranny to bellhousing problems

my240

Jeeper
Thanks
Rebuilding 1973 with AMC 304 and trying to re-install T-15 to bellhousing. Clutch,pressure plate, all line up but there is a shaft toward the bottom of the Transmission that is stcking out and keeping it off the bellhousing about 1/4 inch on the bottom. I can't get it to go back into the Transmission to flush up for the mount. I've turned the gears everyway I can think and it won't budge. Is there a trick? Appreciate any advice.

Did you rebuild the T-15 ?
Is the idler shaft (part 19) sticking out too far just below the input shaft?

The countershaft should not stick out past the machined surface.

Was it replaced? Too long?

33456301.DSC00167x.jpg

I didn't rebuild it, just cleaned it. It was in the jeep and I took it out to rebuild the motor. Didn't notice this shaft under the input shaft had slipped out about a 1/4 inch. Tried to hammer back in with soft hammer but no deal.

If it's only out 1/4", not likely it's out of the bore. Did something fall into the bore? If it slipped out, the counter shaft, the one piece with all the gears, would be loose.

Take the shifter off and look.

Possibly could be gear lube filled in the bore and it hydraulicly locked the shaft from going in all the way. Slow pressure on it will force the gear lube out. Not rapid hammer blows.

I'd like to make sure I'm on the right track here. I am thinking it's the idler shaft that's causing your problem. That would be part #19 in the drawing above. If so I think that shaft goes the length of the tranny. It should be visible at the front and the rear of the T-15 . Does it look like it is pressed too far in from the back?

I could drive it back with a pc. of brass and a hammer. It is the length of the trann. Now it's sticking a bit out the back on the tranfer case side. I did get the Transmission bolted to the bell housing.

Glad to hear you got it back in place. Now that everything is back together it should stay. The bellhousing and TCase will prevent it from moving.
:chug:

Seems to me the Transfer Case now isn't pulling up as tight as it should. It must be that shaft now is holding the back out a bit. I did get the motor back in today and will loosen all the bolts and re-tighten to see if it's going to work. Thanks for the ideas.

That idler shaft is as long as the tranny. With the tranny mounted to the bellhousing I would pound the idler shaft into the tranny. Once it hits up against the bellhousing the TCase should fit.

BTW: your frame off restoration is looking great. Keep us posted with pictures and progress.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom