Tranny

Tranny

jwill22

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 Cj-7, rebuilt 258i, Carb-Motorcraft 2150, TFI ignition, T-176, Dana 300, dana 30 in front, Rear Dana 44, 4in lift, 33in tires, 4:10 gears
I'm not sure whats wrong with my CJ, but it is so hard to put into 4 wheel drive. I practically have to force it in, with both hands. I have to get it rolling to get it into gear. Thats normal though right.. to have it moving and then engage 4 wheel drive. I had this problem way before i upgraded the tires and lift! So what could be the problem?

I have a 258i. 5 speed, AMC20 , 4 inch lift, 33 in tires. hmm what else. everything else is pretty much stock 84 CJ7 i think my gears are 3.43 i think. hmm

I assume it is a T-5 5 speed?
what kind of lubricants are you using and when were they changed last?:cool:

I'm not sure whats wrong with my CJ, but it is so hard to put into 4 wheel drive. I practically have to force it in, with both hands. I have to get it rolling to get it into gear. Thats normal though right.. to have it moving and then engage 4 wheel drive. I had this problem way before i upgraded the tires and lift! So what could be the problem?

I have a 258i. 5 speed, AMC20 , 4 inch lift, 33 in tires. hmm what else. everything else is pretty much stock 84 CJ7 i think my gears are 3.43 i think. hmm

i dont think ive had it changed out? hmm i have had this jeep for a year now. but rarely get to use it cause im out of town the majority of the time! how do i change the lubricant. gosh still a newbie trying to learn how to do his own work! I dont think it has ever been changed out. I'm not sure what tranny i have either! I also just got a rebuilt engine into it new pressure plate for the clutch. But none of that would require the lubricant to be changed right?

Amazon.com: Jeep CJ/Scrambler 1971-86 (Chilton's Total Car Care Repair Manual) (0035675085366): Chilton Editors: Books

I would suggest you start with something like this. You can find it at Amazon or the local barns and noble but find it. This book holds most of the mysteries of the universe.
It is going to be difficult for me to explain how you change the oil in your jeep. And I think you should do some research on what needs to go in where. I understand that the T-5 did use automatic Transmission fluid but now it is recommended that you use 70 wt gear lube.

The biggest problem with the trany and TC lube is it either leaks out or gets water in it.
You need to be able to check the level and recognize a milk shake when you see one.

I actually have that book. I'm just on the road right now, and the book is at home! So are you thinking it would just need to be lubed up, and it would work a little better? And i take it a T-5 isnt really a good tranny? ive always thought about upgraded it. But dont know where id start. I busted my ring and pinion in the the front. Dana 30 so now i want to upgrade gear ratio! I'm thinking 4.11 would be fine for my CJ dont you think. I use it as a daily driver when im home. Then take it off-road about 20-30 percent of the time. Which is like sand, some rocks nothing to major! but it was enough to bust my ring and pinion eeek. heavy foot! :(

I would check the lube and make sure you had the right soup in the right bucket.

If you have already cratered a Dana 30 front axle you may need to consider some radical steps.
I would be looking for an upgrade, a Dana 44 more than likely. Maybe you could find an axle out of a Scout. As long as you’re building axles anyway perhaps some wide track axles from a full size.

Find out for sure what all the parts of your drive train are.:cool:

I actually have that book. I'm just on the road right now, and the book is at home! So are you thinking it would just need to be lubed up, and it would work a little better? And i take it a T-5 isnt really a good tranny? ive always thought about upgraded it. But dont know where id start. I busted my ring and pinion in the the front. Dana 30 so now i want to upgrade gear ratio! I'm thinking 4.11 would be fine for my CJ dont you think. I use it as a daily driver when im home. Then take it off-road about 20-30 percent of the time. Which is like sand, some rocks nothing to major! but it was enough to bust my ring and pinion eeek. heavy foot! :(

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom