trans rebuild price.

trans rebuild price.

kickitandholdit

Old Time Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'53 CJ3B
i got a normal 5 speed in my 82 CJ7 and 3,4,5 gear makes rattle noises and gets louder the higher gear you go, but drives fine. if you were deff you wouldnt know anything was wrong haha. so im not sure whats going on with it but if i wanted to do a total rebuild on it what would i be looking at price wise? i just want to be prepared you know and dont want to be ripped off :D thanks in advance! :chug:

would guess around $800 to $1500. range and maybe a little higher if theirs
any major damage

I had a sm465 built with all the bells and whistles $2300. everything was replaced

would guess around $800 to $1500. range and maybe a little higher if theirs
any major damage

I had a sm465 built with all the bells and whistles $2300. everything was replaced

:eek: thats a bit much for me considering im in college haha id like to come across a beefy 3 speed with a Dana 20 on craigslist or something real cheap

I got a T-5 for $400 + $175 shipping. If I were you I'd look into getting another Transmission rather than rebuilding. Just my 2 cents.

The T-5 you have is light duty.
Your signature says "im gonna drive & break the hell out of it and replace everything with better parts". Well nows the time to live up to your own promise. Trash your T-5 and put in a T-18 Transmission .
I was in the same boat as you I had an '82 CJ7 and when the 65 pound T-5 gave out I put in a AMC 150 pound T-18 .
There are two types of T18s. One for Jeeps and one for Fords. The Jeep T-18 is hard to find. Do what I did and get a Ford T-18 . This will bolt right up to your engine. You will have to drill and tap new holes in the bellhousing for the tranny to bolt up. For the clutch I used a jeep pressure plate and a ford friction plate.
Now to bolt it up to your Dana 300 TCase. This won't be so easy. One option would be to get a Ford TCase with your tranny. Another option, and the one I went with, was to replace the T-18 Main (output) shaft with one from a company such as Advanced Adapters. The T-18 is relatively easy to rebuild.
You will want to get a T-18 with a granny low first. Not all had this. You will give up your Overdrive for this low gearing. What gearing do you have in your axles?

man i had a CJ5 with a T-18 with granny gear and let it go when i sold the jeep now i wish i had bought another tranny to put in it and kept the T-18 :( i might find a ford T-18 and go the advanced adapter way. time to pull up craigslist

my other option is to buy another T-5 like nitor did and take the one i got in the jeep now and try to rebuild it with the haynes book haha just to see if a tranny can be rebuilt by someone that knows nothing about the inside of a tranny and has the book. i know it will probably be like getting one of those big lego sets as a kid and getting way in over my head and end up building something else out of it haha. i might use some of the gears to build a poker table made out of my nascar tire that came off of dale earnhardt car at the bristle race :D

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom