trans/t-case fluid ?

Thinking it's #6 mainshaft oil seal?

t150-transmission-parts_original.gif

Last edited:
There is a seal in the bearing assembly behind the Transfer Case drive gear. It is suppoesed to face into the tranny.
When I broke mine down there was no seal. Which means that at the very least, the two cases had been sharing fluid since 2004 when I got the jeep.

The only oil seal I see is the #6. I have seen a diagram with an oil slinger between 8 & 10.

t150-transmission-parts.jpg

Yep, six seems to be the one.
As for the slinger, everything I had said "if equiped". I didnt have one so I assumed mine was not "equiped".
But I didnt make the same assumption for the seal.:)

I should clear up that in my previous post when I said "behind the Transfer Case drive gear" I mean in between it and the Transmission case, which technicaly speaking would be in front of the gear in relation to FOB.

I'm pretty sure mine has a seal but I'll have to take it apart to check.
I remember going over the assembly order for that area a couple times.
I wonder if I support the Transmission with a strap if I can pull the crossmember and possibly the Transfer Case , without having to drop the whole assembly?

Oh and mine didn't have the slinger either.

I used this diagram and a book during assembly. Notice the slinger but no oil seal.

I wonder in my tired state of mind if I moved the seal to the slinger side and didn't put it on the right side? Guess I'll be pulling the Transfer Case tomorrow.

t150a.gif

That same diagram was on three of my sources. It refers to the "rear bearing assembly" but doesn't break it down.
The seal goes into the assembly rearward of the bearing.

Just a side note: Back in 1979 the factory installed some of the CJ tranny to Transfer Case gaskets in backwards or they used the wrong one. Tranny fluid would flow back into the Transfer Case causing the Transfer Case to overfill and the tranny to overheat.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom