Transfer Case leak ?'s

Transfer Case leak ?'s

sandtoy

Jeeper
Thanks
1986 CJ 7 258 automatic transmission, d300 transfer case.

Found a leak seemingly the front transfer case seal.

Questions:

Manual claims it can be removed and replaced while on the vehicle. Anyone attemt this?? If so any insight as to what I can expect.

To support Transmission I can put a jack under, but what is the easiest way to support the transfercase when removing the plate?

Manual also claims I need a puller. If you did this what did you use to pull the yoke.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rich

Last edited:
What transfer case? What year Jeep? (Hint: fill out profile information and it is displayed under your name and in your 'about me' location.)

I'm going to assume it's post 76 jeep that has the trans mount and skid plate combined.

If it's just the front yoke seal, I don't see why it can't be replaced in the vehicle. Just support the engine / trans (put a jack under the tailshaft) pull trans mount, then the front drive shaft, remove the nut, remove the yoke and change the seal. I was able to tap the yokes of my transfer case with a ball peen hammer. Biggest problem you may have is getting the seal out and also torquing the yoke nut. A dana 20 is 175 foot pounds.

Cjs post said he used a ball peen hammer to tap the Yokes off. His is a dana 20. If your dana 300 is like mine behind the manual , its hard to get it to balance right with a jack or stand and what have you. The dana 300 is relatively light ( t-case wise ) so I just drained mine and took it out. When I was done with it I had a friend help me get it under the Jeep while I was on my back and just muscled it up there.

Just as Petescj said, I just put a little shock to the yoke and it was easy to remove. I have seen may that did require a puller - I just fabbed one up though - I never used a 'yoke puller'.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks