transfer case

Got any pic's. or anyother numbers?

Spicer = Dana Probably a Dana 20 or 18. Put a pic on and we can tell you.

jeep_450.jpg

yes that is a D18, can be used with any 1971 or earlier jeep
from the single shifter on the t case I would say that is either a t 86, yuck, no good, or T-14 tranny behind it.
What are you going to do with them?

all this stuff came with a 79 CJ7 that i traded for mostly becuse i wanted the tilt wheel that it had and the power brakes so all the other stuff i am just going to sale the jeep is an automatic also are those any good?

all this stuff came with a 79 CJ7 that i traded for mostly becuse i wanted the tilt wheel that it had and the power brakes so all the other stuff i am just going to sale the jeep is an automatic also are those any good?

That's a personal question, some people love slushboxes.
I like row my gears.;)

ya personaly i perfer a stick but was just wondering about the automatics if they stand up with big tires and a little abuse

ya personaly i perfer a stick but was just wondering about the automatics if they stand up with big tires and a little abuse

IMHO big tires are harder on everything, but that's the price we pay.
A slushbox can be made to work with a little help, but the granny tranny will do it stock.;)

ok two questions is the 4 speed tranny the granny gear Transmission ? if so is the top gear the same as the top gear in the 3 speed? 1 more question 1 just pulled the diff covers on the new cj and the numbers 378 are stamped on the ring gear was that a stock ratio ? thanks as always for all your help sir

ok two questions is the 4 speed tranny the granny gear Transmission ? if so is the top gear the same as the top gear in the 3 speed? 1 more question 1 just pulled the diff covers on the new cj and the numbers 378 are stamped on the ring gear was that a stock ratio ? thanks as always for all your help sir

That comes out to 4.62 gear ratio, I've not seen that as stock.
Most granny gears are 4 speeds.
Most 4 speed have a 1 to 1 top gear like a 3 speed.
There was a Ford light duty truck 4 speed with a O/D top gear.
New Venture made the 4500 5 speed with a granny gear.;)

Last edited:
ok i just counted teeth and it comes out to 3:28 does that sound better for a stock ratio?

The small number is the number of teeth on pinion, the large number is the number of teeth on the ring gear.
I've never seen a 3 tooth pinion, at least they don't start out that way.:laugh:

The small number is the number of teeth on pinion, the large number is the number of teeth on the ring gear.
I've never seen a 3 tooth pinion, at least they don't start out that way.:laugh:

For example mine has a 9 tooth pinion & a 41 tooth ring gear.
You divide 9 into 41 & that gives you 4.5555555 or 4.56 gear ratio.;)

sorry ya it was a 3.28 ratio a 14 tooth pinion and 46 tooth ring gear also are the manual steering boxs any better than the power stearing ones the reason i ask is my jeep has power but i got a manual bo with this other stuff and didnt know if there was any advantage to the manual boxes other than the work out LOL

sorry ya it was a 3.28 ratio a 14 tooth pinion and 46 tooth ring gear also are the manual steering boxs any better than the power stearing ones the reason i ask is my jeep has power but i got a manual bo with this other stuff and didnt know if there was any advantage to the manual boxes other than the work out LOL

Power is better if you plan on running oversize tires.

ok thanks just wasnt sure about durabilaty thats all and ya i am running 33x12.5's

I'm running power steering with 38"s & a locker, I should move up to Hydro you can hear it squeal sometimes, but I need to save a few more pennies.:laugh:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom