transmission choice opinions

transmission choice opinions

Out of my mind CJ5

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
74 CJ5
scrap built CJ7
im buildong a CJ7 with an amc 360 bored .30 with a torque cam and other mild updrages. im rebuilding a dana 70 rear full width and have hummer wheels and 37'' tires, i have a T-15 3 speed now but am looking for something that will hold p to the rest of the drivetrain. it doesn't matter much if it's auto or stick i just need something strong enough. it will be a weekend play toy and see ocasional road use around town. any suggestions on what i shoud be looking for on a somewhat cheap budget

I'm running an NV 4500 in CJ7 behind a Amc 401. Followed Moses Ludels book on installing it. Got adapters from Advance Adapters. Tranny from salvage yard. Did the install in a couple of weeks, nights and weekends. Works great. Maybe more than you want to spend.
Dennis

get a 727 and get it rebuilt with heavy duty parts and a big fluid cooler. heat is the number one enemy of any automatic

My vote goes to the T-18 .
The best Transmission jeep ever installed in a CJ.

EDIT: The T19 that LongHorn suggested is also an excellent choice. The only difference is the T19 has a syncro with 1st.

alright thanks for the responses guys i guess my next question is where is the best places to find these trannys and will a ford T-18 bolt up to the amc block?

alright thanks for the responses guys i guess my next question is where is the best places to find these trannys and will a ford T-18 bolt up to the amc block?

Yes, I used a factory bellhousing between my 401V8 & my T-19A.
I've also done the swap with a 258I6/T-18 with the factory bellhousing.

Whoops.
It was available in all F100 thru F350.
2WD & 4WD.

If you want my op, something that's heavy duty enough for a dana 70 rear would get a sm420 or 465 and a np205, that way you would also be saving money only having to buy one adapter. Plus its already passenger side drop along with a cast iron gear driven tranfser case that can be twin sticked. Bullet proof heavy chevy.

Droooiiddd 2

get a 727 and get it rebuilt with heavy duty parts and a big fluid cooler. heat is the number one enemy of any automatic

A 727 or a GM Turbo 400 can both take all you can throw at them, if built right.
If you ask me, offroad'n and auto's just go together.:chug:

I put a ford T-18 into a CJ7 but I had to change the T-18 main (output) shaft to mate it to my Dana 300 .
If you have a Dana 20 Tcase the Ford T-18 will be too much trouble. I say get a Jeep T-18 . They were already mated to the Dana 20 . No adapters necessary on either end but your drive shaft lengths will need to be modified.

the driveshaft isnt really a concern as im planning on having cv ones made for it before im done, it also isn't too much of a concern on the passenger drop transfer dase as i have a spare front dana 60 that i could use with drivers drop assuming i could make something for the 4x4 shifter ( dodge used a vaccuum solenoid) my main thing is cost right now as im leaving for college in two months and am already working two jobs and doing tune ups on the side

i have found a j-10 with an unknown 3 speed and Dana 300 Transfer Case for 350 is that a reasonable price or should i keep looking?
I don't know what 3 speed was ever mated with the Dana 300 . The 3 speeds were common in the '70s. The Dana 300 TCase is from the '80's.
What year of a J10 did these come out of? I am not as familiar with the J10 drive-train so maybe that's why I never heard of a 3 speed/Dana 300 combo.

You have a T-15 now. That's a good Transmission (although it's a 3 speed) why give it up for a pig in a poke.

person says it's a T-150 3 speed in a 1979 j-10 mated to a Dana 300 with texas bolt pattern i have him down to 275 on price but i don't know how good it is. I have also found a 465 with an np 205 for 250 but dont know if i could afford that plus the adapter kit I always thought that the cj T-15 was one of the weak tranny's, am i wrong in thinking this?

person says it's a T-150 3 speed in a 1979 j-10 mated to a Dana 300 with texas bolt pattern i have him down to 275 on price but i don't know how good it is. I have also found a 465 with an np 205 for 250 but dont know if i could afford that plus the adapter kit I always thought that the cj T-15 was one of the weak tranny's, am i wrong in thinking this?

I'd pass on the T-150 & 300. But if I were going to run a big dana 70 rear
I'd be look'n at the 205. You are going to have to run 40's to keep the 70
from acting like a plow offroad. And than you will need some more horsepower to go with the tires.:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom