Transmission Drain

Transmission Drain

MDJEEPER

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep CJ

Mostly stock, 258 c.i.d., T-176 tranny, Dana 30 front, AMC 20 rear, Dana 300 t-case, 31x10.50 tires, 2 inch body lift
As folks might have guessed, I am trying to replace all of the fluids in my project. Besides fighting with the differentials, I want to move onto the Transmission and Transfer Case . Just curious if folks have suggestions concerning draining these guys since both are obstructed by the skid plate.

Getting to the drain bolts shouldn't be a problem, but directing the old fluid so it just doesn't pile up on the skid plate could be!

As folks might have guessed, I am trying to replace all of the fluids in my project. Besides fighting with the differentials, I want to move onto the Transmission and Transfer Case . Just curious if folks have suggestions concerning draining these guys since both are obstructed by the skid plate.

Getting to the drain bolts shouldn't be a problem, but directing the old fluid so it just doesn't pile up on the skid plate could be!

Use large Transmission drain pan.
Park on a slight hill with the drivers side wheel a little higher.
It's not perfect but it works.

If that's not good enough, you can support the driveline with jackstands & take the skidplate off, but it's a PITA just to drain the fluids.;)

A little creative cutting on a milk jug usually makes it happen for me.:cool:

Thanks for the ideas!!

I was thinking of a cut up milk jug as well, or a paper plate bent into a funnel shape!

Jacking up the left front is also a cool idea!

Anybody know off hand what size allen wrench is needed for the Dana 300 Transfer Case drain plug?

Thanks for the ideas!!

I was thinking of a cut up milk jug as well, or a paper plate bent into a funnel shape!

Jacking up the left front is also a cool idea!

Anybody know off hand what size allen wrench is needed for the Dana 300 Transfer Case drain plug?

1/4";)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom