Transmission fluid - T-176

Transmission fluid - T-176

gitz676

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ5, 360 AMC, AMC 20 diff, 176 trans, dana 300 TC, dana 30 front diff.
I was going to put a 100% synthetic GL-5 Wallmart gear oil in my Transmission and Transfer Case . I have been reading that you should use a GL-4 or 10w-30 synthetic motor oil. Others say that the new GL-5's have no sulphur so they are good with yellow metal. I am confused. Any comments?

I run plain 90w in mine.

It is so much more cost effective to change plain old 90wt when it turns into a milk shake.
that synthetic stuff is great and if you can put a lot of miles on it is just what you want but if you get water in it you have to change it and I have seen synthetic gear lube that costs more than good Scotch whiskey. :D

My manual says you should use API GL-5, SAE 75W-90 oil

GL-5 is a separate issue from the weight of the oil. GL-5 and GL-4 are standards set from American Petroleum Institute (API).
For more information check out this link:Whats the difference between gl4 and gl5 gear oils

Here's what they say:
GL-5 is not the latest and greatest improvement over GL-4; unlike oil classifications where higher classification numbers mean tougher standards and backward compatiblity. It is important to know what type of gears you are lubricating, their applications and follow the manufacturer's recommendations! More information can be found at Welcome To The API Website.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom