transmission for chevy 305/dana 300

transmission for chevy 305/dana 300

chynamun

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 cj 7 chevy 305 springover and 35 inch tires p.o.s. 20 rear 300 transfer case and ? transmission.
Rcently purchased a 1980 CJ7 with a good running chevy 305...Transmission is a five speed assume it s a jeep unit but don't see an adapter to mate the motor to the Transmission . It runs and drives but 3rd and 4th gear grind. Also gears are not changed so no fifth gear. It's riding on 35's. Question s what Transmission should I swap into this. Any ideas?

I got confussed here... Tranny (5 speed) is in the jeep now? Just 3rd & 4th grind?

And what do u mean gears not changed so no 5th?

If u can drive it at all, i assume tranny or clutch problem with grinding... How bout a pic of this 5 speed?? Help id it.

I would "assume" it is not a jeep tranny since no adapter and chevy motor.

I got confussed here... Tranny (5 speed) is in the jeep now? Just 3rd & 4th grind?

And what do u mean gears not changed so no 5th?

If u can drive it at all, i assume tranny or clutch problem with grinding... How bout a pic of this 5 speed?? Help id it.

I would "assume" it is not a jeep tranny since no adapter and chevy motor.

He means the axle gears have not been changed out, so there isn't enough power to run 5th gear with the 35" tires he has.
Also it sounds like the synchros in the Transmission might have gone bad in 3rd and 4th?
To the OP: X2 on the pics to see what you may have in there...it could be almost anything with the engine change...

It has new master cylinder and clutch seems ok. You may be right about syncros. Can't see an adapter for Transfer Case either. Would the engine and tranny/ Transfer Case bolt up without adapters and if so could that be part of the problem. I will try and post pics tommorow. Thanks for the replies.

He means the axle gears have not been changed out, so there isn't enough power to run 5th gear with the 35" tires he has.
Also it sounds like the synchros in the Transmission might have gone bad in 3rd and 4th?
:notworthy::cool:

A T-176 is a decent base line unit already bolts to a 300 and it is a 4spd and there is an adapter for it to mate to a chevy bhousing or get the adapter bhousing which allows the tranny to bolt direct plus tis unit was behind 304s in early 80s. Plus it is easy and cheap to build. Its a good unit thats adaptable to your engine. Or you could use a gm sm 420 or 465 granny trannys which bolt direct to the chevy anyways and just adapt the tcase those trannys would be a good choice judging on your tires the sm 420 being the lowest 1st gear unit would be my choice it has a 7 to 1 1st gear ratio but are getting hard to find in the salvage yards due to their years built from 47-68 i think the 465 would be the easiest to find. Both can adapt to the 300 check out novak and advance adapters web sites they can help you out with more details of the swap especialy novaks site full of useful knowledge.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom