Transmission help

Transmission help

Jimmy Jeep

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1964 CJ5
I have a 1964 CJ5 with a Ford Small block mounted in it. I'm down to bare frame and am in the process of building back up. I have the T-90 mated to the Ford belhousing using an adapter from advanced adapters. I have the Dana 18 Transfer Case . My problem: the T-90 continually leaks which allows fluid to get on clutch. The T-90 was recently rebuilt but the seal (felt?) is leaking. Any suggestions?

My next question: What does it take to mate a T-18 tranny to the Dana 18. I was thinking of using a T-18 that would mate to the Ford bellhousing but didn't know about the Dana. Any suggestions?

I have a 1964 CJ5 with a Ford Small block mounted in it. I'm down to bare frame and am in the process of building back up. I have the T-90 mated to the Ford belhousing using an adapter from advanced adapters. I have the Dana 18 Transfer Case . My problem: the T-90 continually leaks which allows fluid to get on clutch. The T-90 was recently rebuilt but the seal (felt?) is leaking. Any suggestions?

My next question: What does it take to mate a T-18 tranny to the Dana 18. I was thinking of using a T-18 that would mate to the Ford bellhousing but didn't know about the Dana. Any suggestions?

A ford T-18 will work with a D18 using a Novak adapter ($497 :( )
Keep this in mind, per Novaks website. This in reference to the D18:

*Six-spline gears are predominately most common, as found with the Jeep T84, T-90 , T-86 , T89, T-98 , T-18 , T-15 & T-150 .

*The rare ten-spline version is only availalble on the 1966 - 1974 transfer cases against the Jeep T-14 Transmission

Your is a pre-66 model 18 (Im assuming), so you should have the 6-spline version.

To fix your leak you have to remove the tranny.
At the front of the tranny is a flange on the input shaft of the T-90 . Remove this flange. There are 2 seals that could be leaking. One seal is in this flange and fits around the input shaft.
The other seal is between the flange and the tranny case. You could use silicone gasket for that seal.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom