Transmission issues. Newly rebuilt...

JR74CJ5

Missing-Presumed Wheeling
Lifetime Supporter
Media
Resources
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5 ~ Fresh built AMC 360 - SM420 - D20 - D30F with upgraded 30 spline shafts and knuckles & D44R - 4.27 Gears - ARB Lockers F/R - All chrome molly axles - on 33's - YJ 4" Lift Spring Conversion
Hey guys. Just had my T-15 rebuilt. I installed myself. Used SAE 90 mineral gear oil API GL-1

After driving it a while on freeway it makes a lot of noise and starts wanting to pop out of reverse. For example just got back from lk tahoe. On freeway running solid at 3k rpms 65 mph every once in a while when i let off the gas the shifter vibrates loudly... When i got home and put in reverse it kept popping out of gear. It does go in reverse, but will pop out of gear under load.

So question is is this a wrong gear oil prob, or should i be taking this back to the shop that built it to fix?

I'd be taking it back to whoever rebuilt it.

Copy that... Figured as much, but wasent sure.

Ill be heading to them next week an respectfully request they stand by their work... :cool:

usually (not always) if it's popping out it's a engagement issue of some kind. or a wore out gear. at least that been my Limited experience.

Yeah. It was doing this before the rebuild, but found out they didnt actually rebuild, but replaced with another T-15 ... :mad:

Ill be heading there next week to chat with them.

The shifter hub dogs and springs are to blame.

When i got home and put in reverse it kept popping out of gear. It does go in reverse, but will pop out of gear under load.

It only does this after it's been running for a while... Like it gets hot. That's why I was wondering if the oil type i used doesn't stand up well to heat or?

But I have been meaning to bring it back down to the shop for a min now, at first very impressed with the difference, but think it should be perfect seeing as I paid them to rebuild it.

Spoke to the shop. The owner is the one who answers the phone, it's actually a awesome shop...

Anyways, I told him of my 3 main issues:

1) Rattles when releasing the gas pedal in motion freeway speeds: Says the "grinding / rattling" sound from the tranny area is most likely due to a incorrect drive shaft angle. He says a CV Joint shaft (like tom woods maybe?) would fix this.

2) Pop's out of reverse backing into driveway after a long drive: Say's check the shifter boot is not putting any pressure on the shift shaft while in motion. Easier to move out of reverse than say 2nd (also up top on T-15 ) and even more easy when at high opp temps. Also says may be something wrong with the top assembly, and says he has pleanty of cover / shift towers there for me if this is the case.

3) Leaking fluids slowly, but fluid level is still fine: We kind of "glossed over" this while speaking about the other issues. I am wondering if possible that since I filled from the top while i had cover off, I may have put too much fluid in? Would this cause a leak? Is it harmful to seals etc? Should I be worried?

He says he is more than willing and fine with bringing the Jeep down to him to look everything over. Stands by his work. I don't even have a receipt! He remembered from 2 months ago without issue or question... For anyone in my area, S & H 4 wheel drive center. They are pretty awesome and well known in the area with great pricing too. Came recommended from many other shops not doing in house re-builds and my Grandfather was a satisfied customer 20 years ago...

Anyways, just mentioning the possible fixes / issues to get everyones opinions on the causes / fixes...

Thanks,
~ JR

1) maybe, what kinda angle you got?
2):dunno:
3) I have seen things that were over full leak
I don't know anything about GL1, you might want to use GL4 next time.

Hey JR, this guy at the shop say why he swapped transmissions with you insted of rebuilding yours? Maybe thats common practice there or something but it kinda struck me as odd.
These old T-15s are quickly becoming Scarce as people swap them out for "new and improved" But from my Limited research Borg did it right with that Transmission and as long as we can afford the parts we owe it to ourselves and the Jeep Community to keep running them.
Hope this guy gets you squared away. :)

1) maybe, what kinda angle you got?

I've read how but cant remember or find how to measure this... :confused:
I could take some pics? but have to re-read up on how to check this... I know I've seen it...

I don't know anything about GL1, you might want to use GL4 next time.

I don't know very much about the lube... I bought what Napa had on the shelf in the 80w lol Should have read further into... That's what i am running through my entire drive train, minus the motor of course... :cool:

Thanks Littleriverrat1, I am planning a T-18 one day, but I am happy with this tranny so far. Not sure why he swapped?? But when I picked it up he gave me my entire old gear guts from the inside of mine. All the gears were good, but needed a new input shaft as the bearing had blown and the pilot bushing was non existent almost... So only thing i can think of is he had a "good" one laying around and it was easier than getting the new input shaft?? I didn't even realize it had been swapped until I got home and went to install and couldn't find my Transmission mount... Which i had left on the tranny when brought to him :cool:

:chug:

I'll keep posted...

~ JR

How much lift do you have? I don't see it listed in your info?

I Have been meaning to measure that... All :censored: shackle lift (which I hate:mad:) springs are at least stock height, if not stock springs... (checked and with straight edge eye to eye on top of housing)

Shackle lift amount = bolt to bolt (minus) 3" (divided by) 2... Correct?

Not very much... I think 1 - 1.5 tops... I will check and add that in maybe tonight (here and on profile, although hoping it will be temp until i trim / spring lift slightly for permanent)... When I bought it, it had a Transmission drop (blocks between the Transmission skid plate / x member & frame) and I didn't see the need for it while putting it back together since I don't have much lift... I'm not really clearing the 33's i have while trail flexing... Anyways, assumed it would not matter, and wanted it tucked up as much as possible. Starting to to wonder if PO had it on to accommodate a "incorrect" drive shaft or something?? :confused:

Do poly bushings count as a body lift? they measure about 3/4"...

Could even be u joints I suppose, as I have not replaced since owning either...

And thank You for the links! I will read tonight or tomorrow when I get home and post up results. :notworthy:

:chug:
~ JR

With no real amount of lift (body lift doesn't count) I wouldn't think you would be having angle proublems.
I run a 4" lift (no tranny drop) and have no problems on my 7.

Wouldnt think so either??? Maybe somethings outta whack... Might snap some pics and see if anything jumps out at anyone...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom