transmission noise

transmission noise

zoup2nuts

Jeeper
Thanks
Hello all, I'm new here and am in the process of picking up a CJ5 , its an '81 with a very clean '79 tub. It has the AMC 304 V8 and a 4-speed. It has a noise in the Transmission if you take it out of gear and don't shift it. My first thought was throw-out bearing, but not sure. It does it every time. If you go from gear to gear there is no sound, the syncros are fine, its only if you leave it in neutral. Any thoughts on what it may be and potential cost of repair?...thanks in advance...Bob

Hello zoup2nuts and welcome to our site! :chug:

Sure sounds like a throw out bearing to me or even possibly the pilot bushing. The problem with this scenario is that a properly adjust TO bearing never turns while the clutch is not engaged... Like I said though - a properly adjusted TO bearing. All to often the clutch engagement isn't set incorrectly and the TO bearing turns even when the clutch isn't engaged - this reduces the TO bearing life considerably.

If you slightly press on the pedal while the noise is going on, does the noise change?

A pretty good test is to back the clutch off so the TO bearing is no longer even remotely close to the pressure plate when released. You may have to really press the pedal all the way to the floor but it should eliminate the TO bearing.

Let us know! :)

Cj is totally right with this one. Also while your under there make sure you know ( not assume ) that the mounting bolts are torqued to spec. They may be loose and wear your pilot bushing to poopy. It makes alot of noise also , and makes you think throwout bearing.

Thanks guys, what would I expect to spend to fix either of those conditions? I'm looking at it in a few minutes and will try the depressing the pedal a bit and can better describe the noise after that...Bob

Thanks guys, what would I expect to spend to fix either of those conditions? I'm looking at it in a few minutes and will try the depressing the pedal a bit and can better describe the noise after that...Bob
The parts are relatively cheap? Are you talking just part ( as if you did the work yourself) of if you hired a mechanic???

:)

It depends, I've never dont that work before, so let's say if I paid someone. I did drive it and I'd modify the sound a bit. It isn't a grinding, but more of an intermittant clicking. And it doesn't always do it. It seems if you take it out at a faster pace it is more likely to do it. Also when it does it, it doesn't change in intensity when you put the clutch in slightly or all the way. I tried to get to act up and did it only once in five tries, and then its a pretty subdued sound.
The jeep overall seems pretty good, the AMC 304 is smooth with a slight hesitation right off idle if you crack it open quickly, but if you give it gas slowly for a moment, then it doesn't hesitate. It has 82K original on it and is running a single exhaust. The tranny is a 4-speed and it seems fairly high geared.
Theres some steering play, but it has power steering and it works great. It didn't seem to wander going down the road or wobble.
It is free of rust and has hard (no hard doors) soft, and a bikini top. Has leather seats and overall seems pretty decent. The oil pressure at idle after warming up was between 35 and 40 lbs., but quickly increased with rpms to about 80 lbs. I don't know enough about the AMC 304 to know if that's acceptable or not.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Oh, I can probably get it for $3500...Bob

It depends, I've never dont that work before, so let's say if I paid someone. I did drive it and I'd modify the sound a bit. It isn't a grinding, but more of an intermittant clicking. And it doesn't always do it. It seems if you take it out at a faster pace it is more likely to do it. Also when it does it, it doesn't change in intensity when you put the clutch in slightly or all the way. I tried to get to act up and did it only once in five tries, and then its a pretty subdued sound.
The jeep overall seems pretty good, the AMC 304 is smooth with a slight hesitation right off idle if you crack it open quickly, but if you give it gas slowly for a moment, then it doesn't hesitate. It has 82K original on it and is running a single exhaust. The tranny is a 4-speed and it seems fairly high geared.
Theres some steering play, but it has power steering and it works great. It didn't seem to wander going down the road or wobble.
It is free of rust and has hard (no hard doors) soft, and a bikini top. Has leather seats and overall seems pretty decent. The oil pressure at idle after warming up was between 35 and 40 lbs., but quickly increased with rpms to about 80 lbs. I don't know enough about the AMC 304 to know if that's acceptable or not.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Oh, I can probably get it for $3500...Bob
As for the noise... IMHO - I wouldn't worry about it if it only made the noise once in five times. It's a 25+ year old vehicle - they make noises and wear out. If it is the TO bearing, it's an easy fix and at the same time the clutch can be replaced.

Only 82k? WOW!!! :notworthy:

If it doesn't wander down the road - a very good sign... :)

The oil pressure is great! The normal pressure can be as low as 20 at idle, increasing to 80 is normal and is a good thing... :)

Sounds like a good find to me!

Thanks CJ,

I've slept on it and thinking back, I was pretty impressed with it for the cash. I'm going to try to get in touch with the guy that had it built up. The current owner bought it as a toy and his wife's car recently died and they have two small kids and the only other vehicle is a dodge pickup, so the toy needs to go.

I was impressed that although it had a little play in the wheel, it didn't pull in either direction going down the road. The winch doesn't look as its ever been used, it has new shocks all around, new 33" BFG tires and new black rims, new clutch (2k ago), new belts, dist. cap, wires, the wiring isn't butchered at all, the gas gauge works, but runs out at an indicated 1/4 full, the heater blows hot and the ducts are intact and working fine. The motor sounds tight and starts cold or hot on the 1st turn. When you barely crack the throttle I first detected a little tapping sound that disappears with a few rpms, its not valves or rods, but I think its a small exhaust leak near the manifold. It goes away and doesn't return. Holding a constant 3k rpms (estimated) there's no noise, and at idle it purrs.

All lights and dash lights work fine.

The gearing seems a little taller than I expected, but hope to be able to track down the owner that had it before the current owner to get some of those specs.

The paint looks great at 20' but is fading in places, but there's no current rust issues and the frame is clean. The only leak I could fine was some small seepage (but not dripping) at the rear of the motor.

I'm going to use it as a backup to my Turbo-Miata in the winter when it snows and for back country camping and fishing trips. I'll have about a 40 mile drive on paved roads before reaching the trails.

The more I think about it, the more I want to research it further. The only thing holding me back is a '69 FJ40 that has a 327 and is in great shape for about the same dough. I'm still leaning towards a CJ, but the FJ isn't quite as cramped inside. I'll try to upload photos, talk me out of the FJ...hehe. Sorry about the long post...Bob

Attachments

• '81 CJ front.jpg
    '81 CJ front.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 258
  • 81 Cj5.jpg
    81 Cj5.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 339
  • '81 CJ rear.jpg
    '81 CJ rear.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 245
  • '81 CJ rear seat.jpg
    '81 CJ rear seat.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 291
  • fj40.jpg
    fj40.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 257

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom