Transmission noise

Transmission noise

RTRCJ7

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ7 Loredo ,restored, straight 6 , 4 speed
The Transmission is a 4 speed manual. It shifts nice and smooth , no problems going into any of the gears . It just makes more a whining noise when in 1-3 gears , but when in 4th the noise disappears. My Dad use to restore antique car and some of the trucks made this noise. Is this something these transmissions do or should I be worried?

I have a similar situation with my 3 speed. I've been told it could be a throwout bearing, pilot bushing, or something worse. Since I don't have the facilities or experience to handle "something worse" I'm saving up to let a pro diagnose and repair.

mine does the same thing its a T-176 the bearings are going out and causing the gears not to mesh properly that along with the bearings themselves is what is causing your noise. my understanding is 4th gear is on a different rail or shaft thats why its quiet still. hey another georgian welcome. im about 2hrs north of you

counter shaft bearings

mine does the same thing its a T-176 the bearings are going out and causing the gears not to mesh properly that along with the bearings themselves is what is causing your noise. my understanding is 4th gear is on a different rail or shaft thats why its quiet still. hey another georgian welcome. im about 2hrs north of you

Hey , yeah Im actually in Newnan but most people dont know where that is so I just say metro Atl. Are the bearings something I need to fix asap or can it wait ? And what kind of cost is this fix?

Change your Transmission oil, go back with a GL5 oil. As long as it shifts ok, immediate attention is not necessary. Knocking or clunking means time for repair.

yeah priceg is right mines been like that since its been in our family. it'll last a while its just annoying. yep i know where newnan is, alan jackson's home town. uh if your lookin for a used tranny to replace it there's a guy in cartersville/rockmart (about halfway between you and me) that parts out a :dung: ton of jeeps he'll probably have one at a good price. his name is jody and he advertises on craigslist atlanta opt north check it out, he comes across some pretty rare stuff every so often

yeah priceg is right mines been like that since its been in our family. it'll last a while its just annoying. yep i know where newnan is, alan jackson's home town. uh if your lookin for a used tranny to replace it there's a guy in cartersville/rockmart (about halfway between you and me) that parts out a :dung: ton of jeeps he'll probably have one at a good price. his name is jody and he advertises on craigslist atlanta opt north check it out, he comes across some pretty rare stuff every so often
I have bought alot of parts from Jody. He is a super guy and his prices are worth the drive.

The old T-176 in my CJ7 did the same. As mentioned above its the bearings going on the mainshaft. I ended up getting real luck and finding another one with new bearings for $100. The guy was changing to a chevy driveline and didnt know what he had.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom