Transmission or clutch problem

Transmission or clutch problem

COCJ5

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ-5, I6 258, T176, Dana 300, 3.54 AMC 20 and Dana 30, purchased 4/12/11 with 79000 miles on it.
I just bought an 83 CJ5 with 80,000 miles. It has the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l I6 engine and a T-176 Transmission . When starting out cold everything works fine. After things are warmed up I cannot get the Transmission into reverse without the gears grinding. All the forward gears shift with no problem cold or warm. Could this just be a linkage adjustment problem or something more serious.

Rod

If you havent changed your fluid lately start there :D if you have it gets more fun from here as it has internal shifter rail set up

Mine (different Transmission ) will get fussy about going into reverse sometimes. I was told to put it into first gear and then into reverse (with the clutch pushed in) when that happens -- something about how the gears line up. It seems to do the trick. You might see if that helps you out.

I have not changed out the Transmission oil, did verify that it is full. A few people have said to replace it with synthetic. Novaks website says synthetic is not needed due to lower temperatures than engine. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,
Rod

Mine (different Transmission ) will get fussy about going into reverse sometimes. I was told to put it into first gear and then into reverse (with the clutch pushed in) when that happens -- something about how the gears line up. It seems to do the trick. You might see if that helps you out.
IMHO I would change the fluid just to be sure, Lucas makes great additives to try and also try gilmore"s suggestion as well :chug:

X2 on this is what i do too... Granted I do have T-15 . Not sure if it has to do with syncros or what... But works for me...:cool:

I would as gert suggests change the fluid too, never know how long it has been not done since you just bought.

:chug:
~ JR

I would change the oil and add a bottle of Lucas treatment

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom