Transmission Over Haul Kits

Transmission Over Haul Kits

Glass84CJ

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 Jeep CJ7 258, T150, Dana20, AMC rear, Dana 30 front, 1.5" Shackle lift, 1" Body lift. 4wd hardware fiberglass body, Stainless everything 33x12.5x15 Cooper Mesa tires, Bestop Supertop,
I've been researching Overhaul kits for my T-150 Transmission and have found that the prices range from about $56 to $120. It seems like they are all very similar. Some of them have a few extra parts in them, but most are the same.
Is there a difference in Quality between a Crown and an Omix-ada? I'm really stumped on this. :confused:

I went with Novak when I did mine also picked a couple misc parts from Morris 4x4.
See my gallery for pics

Novak is my first choice. I was just wondering if there was that much of a difference in quality, and if anyone has used the kits from other companies.

Well, I got the Transmission apart, and really couldn't find anything wrong with any of the gears. They all look good. The guy I bought it from said it was recently rebuilt. One thing I did find was Permatex on stuff inside the case. Another thing I found was that there wasn't a fiber washer behind the rear bearing. I ordered the kit from Novak and it should be here in a few days.
I was talking with a mechanic this weekend, and he said the price of the kits varied with the quality of the bearings. the cheaper ones use bearings from China, and the expensive ones use high quality bearings made in the USA.

Tis true mine had Made in the USA stamped on them.
The other thing to look at during your rebuild is the hardware
used on the shifter, when worn it'll shift like :dung:.

Thanks Brock, That's good to know. The funny part is, that the shifter is tight, it shifted really good, and it sounded really good. It's like the guy I bought it from put in new gears and gaskets but left in all the old bearings, and called it a rebuild. I'll also bet that he used a tube or two of Permatex. It's everywhere, and it's thick. Another thing that I noticed, was the face that mated to the Transfer Case was painted. Where the gasket was stuck to the Transmission , it (the gasket) came right off. That was the major leak.

The clutch linkage was in good shape?
Wonder if it was adjusted properly.

It was tight with a little play. Everything in the linkage was redone when the fiberglass body was put on back in 2001. It was re adjusted when I put in the T-150 3 years ago. The whole story behind the 3 years ago is actually a long one. I'll post it in my profile if I haven't all ready. It was only driven about AMC 150 miles in 3 years.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom