Transmission swap

T-176 or T-18 are both good choices. The T-176 is a medium duty tranny but it can handle a V8. They came on CJs and for that reason it would be an easy swap. The only issue would be the drive shafts. The rear would need to be shortened and the front would need to be lengthened .
The T-18 is a heavy duty truck Transmission . I used to have a CJ7 that I put a Ford T-18 into. I had to put a new main (output) shaft into the T-18 to mate it to the Dana 300 . I used a kit from Advanced Adapters but Novak sells one too.
I was taking out a T-5 and the Ford T-18 mated up to my bellhousing. I only had to drill and tap holes.
If you decide to go with a T-18 do not get a jeep T-18 . They all came with Dana 20 TCases. Getting one of those to work would be even more trouble.

I swapped a T-15 three speed for the T-18 in my '81 CJ5 . Make sure you get the granny low if you go with the T-18 . Mine was out of a J10 pickup. I had to put in a short shaft, kits mentioned above, and there is an adapter plate that you need if you marry it to a Dana 20 xfer case. Because of the size difference, I had to lengthen the front drive shaft and shorten the rear one. The skid plate/Transmission mount also had to be slid back to accommodate the extra length of the Transmission and adapter plate. I found my T-18 and Dana 20 as a unit on EBay for $375. By the time I got done with the project it cost me about $750 including the short shaft kit, new drive shafts and other misc parts. Best mod I can think of for my CJ and I would do it again. Took it over the Rubicon two months later and it made all the difference in the world having that granny low. Good luck.

Tommy

Yes looking at T-18 from Novak wth required adapters, driveshaft mod etc...wish I could match what you found on ebay but have not been getting anywhere wth EBAY, Craigslist...Probably end up costing me $1 200 but I'm thinking its the last tranny mod I do on my '81 CJ.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom