Trans Transmission - T150 Expert help, please

Trans Transmission - T150 Expert help, please

Trever

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'78 CJ5, 258 30over, T150, D30 front, AMC20 rear, Sniper EFI, 4.88 gears, Detroit Locker in front, OX locker in rear, 33" tires, beadlocks
I'm going to be a little long with my description, hopefully to help describe the problem. I have rebuilt my T-150 3 speed a couple of times in the past. The problem that I can't seem to solve is this.... When running thru the gears, 1st gear is quiet, 2nd gear is quiet, 3 gear is very noisy. After having it it 3rd, I push in the clutch, and the noise slowly spins to a stop. Transfer Case is in high. I put the jeep on stands in the back, and good in 1st and 2nd, but 3rd makes the jeep shake, like something is out of balance (It didn't fall of the jack stands, but felt like it kind of wanted to!) I have even put the front on the jeep on stands, put it is front drive only (twin stick installed), and same result, quiet in 1st and 2nd, whining loud in 3rd. I think that means I can rule out the Transfer Case being the issue. I've never replaced any gears, just the rebuild kit (syncros, bearings and gaskets). I'm pretty sure I put it together the way I found it, both times, but maybe the previous owner put it together wrong. Syncros, shims, etc... Has anyone solved for this before?

I can’t remember what the guys name is, but google Gear box videos. His videos are great

Did you try third gear with the Transfer Case in neutral…
This is where my mind went too, except for the fact that he said he's rebuilt his Transmission a couple of times to try to fix the issue. After the first rebuild and the issue persisted, it seems like he'd have turned his attention to the Transfer Case .

But yeah. After a rebuild if you still have noise, then look elsewhere. Transfer Case is the next stop.

Did you try third gear with the Transfer Case in neutral…
I did. There's not hardly any noise, but I suspected it's because there is no load/torque on the components. It's got to be the tranny, right. The Transfer Case has the same shafts and gear in use, for all 3 gears of the tranny, and the only noise is when it is put into 3rd.

Oops…

Sorry I could not be of any help. Good luck.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom