trany go boom

If you can find a Jeep T-18 it should bolt right into your Jeep. It's a heavy duty Transmission and I think it's the best tranny to ever go into a jeep.
One thing I am confused about is your TCase. Are you sure you don't have a Dana 20 ? The Dana 300 wasn't used in CJs until 1980. A Jeep T-18 will not easily bolt up to a Dana 300 . I think the easiest way to tell the difference is the way the shift levers attach to the TCase. A Dana 20 has a round bar sticking out the front of the Tcase and the shift levers are attached to that. This picture below has a twin stick installed but the black tubular bar sticking out the front is OEM.
d20j.jpg

And this next picture is a Dana 300 . Notice the shift lever pivot point on the front of the TCase
DANA300-T-CASE.jpg

If someone swapped in a Dana 300 then that would make a big difference is what Transmission would work. Notice the Dana 300 expects the output shaft of the tranny to fit into the TCase.
In the top picture of the Dana 20 you just see a big hole at the input of the Dana 20 . A tranny that will mate up to the Dana 20 will have a gear on the back of the tranny. That whole gear will fit inside the Dana 20 .
Lets make sure we know what TCase you have before making any recommendations.

Are you sure that's a Dana 300 Dave? The 300 has three pivot ears :wtf:

three pivot ears? ?
Are you sure? I think that's a Dana 300 Jim. :dunno:

I have a three speed Transmission /Dana 20 Transfer Case that looks real pretty. I was told it had been rebuilt when I got it as a spare for my '74. I am currently on the hunt for a T-18 setup for mine, so this one isn't needed now.

PM me if interested. I can get it to Dallas if you come up this way at all, also...

Can someone show me a Dana 300 because what I have on my 86cj7 looks alot like the pic of red t case in this thread but cant see bottom of t case in pic and explain the 3 piviot ears I'm still tring to learn all I can about jeeps and the large amount of differant tcases transmissions and every other part that seems to be mixed in with my CJ7 and if this is normal or if po just pieced this one together.

1986cj7 since you have a jeep from the '80s you should have a Dana 300 .
no4low since you have a jeep from the '70s you should have a Dana 20 but we need to make sure.
The red TCase above is a Dana 300 . The bottom of the Dana 20 looks like the bottom of the Dana 300 . To tell the difference you need to look at how the shift levers are attached. Just look at what I circled. The rest of the 2 TCases look the same.
On the red Dana 300 there are 2 pivot ears (in the blue circle) that extend out of the front of the TCase to hold the shift levers.
On the black Dana 20 there is a tubular bar that is attached to the front of the TCase. This bar has 2 square head bolts holding it on. The shift levers attach to this tubular bar.

Attachments

• DANA300-T-CASE.jpg
    DANA300-T-CASE.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 391
  • d20.jpg
    d20.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 808
there are 2 pivot ears on the Dana 300 ...my first post is inaccurate. Sorry about the misinformation.
You can either crawl underneath and see the simple linkage design of the Dana 300 or the vastly different Dana 20 linkage location....or lift the boot on the tranny tunnel cover to view the same thing from the top.

My. 74 and uncles 72 both came stock with T-15 & Dana 20 ... But one thing i have learned about jeeps and "po" is you never really know what you got until u crawl under it! Lol:cool:

Maybe po swapped for the lower Dana 300 gear ratio, but if so he had to have used an adapter or swaped tranny too right?

What tranny just blew up?
What kind of wheelin or driving do you plan to do?

I agree with dave in T-18 being awesome tranny, but we got to know the exact current set up to let you know the easiest vs best for your desired results...:cool:
:chug:
Jr

Can someone show me a Dana 300 because what I have on my 86cj7 looks alot like the pic of red t case in this thread but cant see bottom of t case in pic and explain the 3 piviot ears I'm still tring to learn all I can about jeeps and the large amount of differant tcases transmissions and every other part that seems to be mixed in with my CJ7 and if this is normal or if po just pieced this one together.
What I've run into is like the carb on my 86 has a bbd cater 2 bbl on it when the chiltion book says it should have a carter ya i think it was. After alot of looking at carb and book finally figured it out as a 82-83 bbd. I was just wondering if this the norm or if the pos before pieced it together.

there are 2 pivot ears on the Dana 300 ...my first post is inaccurate. Sorry about the misinformation.
You can either crawl underneath and see the simple linkage design of the Dana 300 or the vastly different Dana 20 linkage location....or lift the boot on the tranny tunnel cover to view the same thing from the top.
Sorry didn't mean to upset anyone just a little confused. Have been tring to figure out the mixture of parts on my jeep.:chug:

Sorry didn't mean to upset anyone just a little confused. Have been tring to figure out the mixture of parts on my jeep.:chug:

You didn't "upset anyone", Jim was pointing out that his info he posted was not correct in a flashy way :cool:

What i wold suggest is to take some pictures, do some reading on Novak's site (lots of good info: Novak Jeep Conversions - Home ) and start a new thread so we don't get off the original posters topic too far. Post your pics on there after reading the technical threads which have lots of info on id'ing your components...

Then we can all check out what's up with yours :cool:

To the original poster: Did you ever find out your current blown Transmission type / Transfer Case type, and what your desired application for this rig will be?:popcorn:
:chug:

~ JR

i am sorry it is a Dana 20 it does have the long bar stickn out the front of it. so yes it is a 20. I wish there was a 5 speed tranny that would bolt up with everything cause that over drive would be reeally nice

Depending on what you want to do / what you're willing to spend you can get a add-on over-drive unit to put with a "normally" used tranny.

I currently have a T-15 / Dana 20 combo behind my AMC 304 . Pretty happy, but if you're going to want a swap now, and are planning to do a lot of rock-climing or low gear necessary wheeling, the T-18 would be good, but you'd either need to get a adapter for the Dana 20 t case, or (unless I am missing something) you may want to use the money that the adapter would cost you to go with a Dana 300 T case while you're at it to get lower low gearing, and direct bolt up.

What is the type of tranny that just blew up on you?

If you have a 300 tcase a T-176 which is a decent unit was a factory 4spd for the 300 probably the better tranny of the 80s units factory wise most people i talk to dont like the T-4 ,t5or the peugot trannys i think there is another one but cant remember it. But Novak adapters or advance adapters can just about hook you up with an adapter for almost any tranny givin the fact that 74 is a CJ5 ofcoarse driveline mods may need met for certain applications. If you have a 20 tcase the T-18 is a most desired unit gives you a low 1st gear and is virtualy bullit proof they used that tranny in just about everything 1/2 ton 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks dating back as far as the 60s good reliable unit. Also is factory tranny for a jeep and mated to a 20. If you dont have to have 4spd a T-150 is a realy good 3spd i have one in my 81 came from a 79 but works well easy to build affordable.

Depending on what you want to do / what you're willing to spend you can get a add-on over-drive unit to put with a "normally" used tranny.

I currently have a T-15 / Dana 20 combo behind my AMC 304 . Pretty happy, but if you're going to want a swap now, and are planning to do a lot of rock-climing or low gear necessary wheeling, the T-18 would be good, but you'd either need to get a adapter for the Dana 20 t case, or (unless I am missing something) you may want to use the money that the adapter would cost you to go with a Dana 300 T case while you're at it to get lower low gearing, and direct bolt up.

What is the type of tranny that just blew up on you?

it was a really small housing way smaller than a T-18 so im not real sure. only thing i know is i ate 2nd gear and cause it to lock up the tranny. im thinkin about findin a scout 2 and throwin that setup in the jeep ans callin it good. wish i had a longer rear shaft cause i have access to a divourced np 205

did you have a 3 speed or a 4 speed?

wish i had a longer rear shaft cause i have access to a divourced np 205
A CJ5 is too short for a divorced TCase.
Almost any CJ Tranny from the '70s should work. Any of those trannys would have been mated to the Dana 20 TCase. That's what you want. The '70s had some good strong trannies. Unfortunately they didn't have Overdrive and they were often 3 speeds. I say get a Jeep T-18 . Avoid the ford T-18 , they would need an adapter.
CJ trannies from the '80 sometimes had Overdrive (such as the T-5 ) but these were very light duty and wont bolt up to your TCase without an adapter. If you really want an Overdrive it would be very expensive to adapt into your CJ.
Going back to the T-18 : it has a granny low 1st and was meant to be started out in 2nd. If you get oversized tires and don't regear your diffs then top gear in the T-18 would almost be like an Overdrive .

I found a SN465 from an old GMC 1-ton pickup. I want to put it into my 1980 CJ7 . I already have a 350 in it but I heard that I will have to move the whole engine 1 1/2'' to the right. Does anybody know if this is true.:confused:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom