Trouble turning on and staying turned on

Trouble turning on and staying turned on

lmk3087

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 CJ7 Renegade V8 304
Despite the title, this is a real problem :p.

Bought an old, beat up, 77 CJ7 just recently, and it keeps stalling, no surprise.

Here is a list of the things I have done so far, some may apply, some may not I am not sure.

-Siphoned gas out and put fresh in.
-Changed fuel filter.
-Used Motor Flush.
-Changed oil and oil filter.
-New spark plugs.
-Changed air filter.
-Put Seafoam in the gas.
-And attempted to clean the carburetor, but not certain I did it correctly.

Now here is a description of what is going wrong.

There is typically a little trouble starting it. I generally need to pump the gas several times. But once it gets going it seems to be alright in idle. When I give it gas it revs up, and, when in gear, it goes, but when it comes back down, it stalls. This happens the same as to whether I am moving or just revving when still. I can continue to give it gas and it will stay running, and almost like feather it back down to an idle, but it is a little difficult. Also sometimes when it starts, it seems to want to cut out, but I can fiddle with the gas a little until it stabilizes.

Oh, I did take of the top of the carb, pulled out the venutri assembly, and attempted to clean it, sprayed every where I could, but it seemed decently clean in the first place to be honest. One thing though, on the directions I had, it showed a top and bottom to the assembly, that could be taken apart, but on my assembly there was not a top and bottom, just one piece, and I couldnt remove the pins, but attempted to spray up in there and clean the best I could. Is that just my particular model, or did I do it wrong?

Thanks to all who might be able to help!!

have you checked for a vacuum leak at all?

Sounds like you really need to rebuild the carb using a kit. And as MyLittle said, be sure there are no vacuum leaks.

No I have not checked the vacuum at all. I have read that is a common problem, but honestly, I am pretty green, and not sure exactly how to do everything. I was thinking about a rebuild, do you think I should try and swap to a different carb with notoriously less problems?

I would suggest you work with what you have. changing carbs is not just a question of removing four nuts. You could be trading one can of worms for another. If you have not learned to find a vacuum leak you are going to have a real good time fabbing a throttle linkage, fuel lines and choke on a MC2100 or a Webber down draft. (sarcasm):cool:
There are more than a few web pages on finding vacuum leaks, I would start there.

Now for a Zen moment; You have made the first step on the path to enlightenment, you just bought a CJ. You are now a member of a rather exclusive club, You can buy your way in, I guess, but it is going to be very expensive. It is a learning experience. You bought it but you don't own it yet. Good luck.:cool:
Do you have at least one good service manual??

No I have not checked the vacuum at all. I have read that is a common problem, but honestly, I am pretty green, and not sure exactly how to do everything. I was thinking about a rebuild, do you think I should try and swap to a different carb with notoriously less problems?

Hehe, I like the philosophy and words of wisdom IOPort51. Yes, the repair manual was the first things I bought, and then returned for a better one lol. Though I understand it would be work either way to rebuild or replace, I probably should have stated my question more specifically. Do you think I should consider swapping out the carb for a different model, because the Venutri is so infamously troublesome. I will have to look into the vacuum leak, excitedly and nervously.

I must apologize, I did not read the profile, you have a AMC 304 . You don't have a Carter carb. You have a motor craft two bbl. This would be what some of would call an "upgrade". The next step for you would be a new intake and 4 bbl, a good choice, or a TBI, a better choice IMHO.
Find the vacuum leak, I would just about bet lunch there is one, and take it from there.:cool:

Hehe, I like the philosophy and words of wisdom IOPort51. Yes, the repair manual was the first things I bought, and then returned for a better one lol. Though I understand it would be work either way to rebuild or replace, I probably should have stated my question more specifically. Do you think I should consider swapping out the carb for a different model, because the Venutri is so infamously troublesome. I will have to look into the vacuum leak, excitedly and nervously.

Well I have the day off so I will shoot for that vacuum leak then and see if I can find something. I don't know what 2 bbl, 4 bbl, and whatnot means though? does this require an entire replacement or just a partial. I'm sorry, very new to the whole thing as I have said, the most complicated thing I have done before was a radiator, lol. So please, feel free to treat me like an idiot, and don't be concerned about insulting me in any explanation, because I honestly don't know better lol. Thanks!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom