Turbo for your jeep

BrockGrimes

Jeep-CJ.com Archive Master
Media
Resources
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
ON THE HUNT AGAIN
I was watching trucks and they installed a universal turbo kit on a lightning. So I looked at the site and the install. This would be awsome on a jeep and would be an easy install for those of us who need more power.
Squires Turbo Systems - Universal

Might get me an old mail jeep, drop one of these kits in and see how much I can get from a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l before it gives up the ghost, LOL.

i saw that to. looks like a sweet setup. wouldnt want it on a 4wd and go through water and suck it in though.

How low would it be effective, I mean is it a high rev thing. or does it work at idle?

You can tweak em' a little but usually lowest effective rpm is @ 1500-2000k

I used to have a turbo setup for a Chevy 350. Carburetor sat on the intake side of the turbo. It had a really annoying "turbo lag" because the carburetor was so far from the intake manifold.

They don't generate squat for boost till ya wind 'em up, but then they'll boost till you're redlined. If you hang one on, it's a good idea to hang a wastegate on it so you don't deliver too MUCH boost.

Turbo lag is no issue today with modern turbo's.
I've turbo charged several vehicles, from kits to pieced together setup's.
The beauty of a universal kit is you can stick it where you want.
If i put it under the jeep, I'd house it in a box and route air from a snorkle.
But it I was me I'd stuff it under the hood and still use a snorkle for the intake side of the turbo.
It's easy easy.........
You can set it up as a draw through or blow thru system.
I'd probably use a TBI setup as it's easier than setting up a carb.

Turbo lag is no issue today with modern turbo's.
I've turbo charged several vehicles, from kits to pieced together setup's.
The beauty of a universal kit is you can stick it where you want.
If i put it under the jeep, I'd house it in a box and route air from a snorkle.
But it I was me I'd stuff it under the hood and still use a snorkle for the intake side of the turbo.
It's easy easy.........
You can set it up as a draw through or blow thru system.
I'd probably use a TBI setup as it's easier than setting up a carb.

I at one time wanted to put a chevy 5.3 with a turbo in a CJ7 . then i realised i dont have time or money for that right now

I was watching trucks and they installed a universal turbo kit on a lightning. So I looked at the site and the install. This would be awsome on a jeep and would be an easy install for those of us who need more power.
Squires Turbo Systems - Universal

Might get me an old mail jeep, drop one of these kits in and see how much I can get from a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l before it gives up the ghost, LOL.
I think your getting bored and want a little project for the summer:drool:.It sure would scoot a mail jeep past the mailboxes:chug:
Mike

Oh yea, this is interesting. fortunately I have more than enough projects going right at the moment, thank you.:cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom