Turbo - Yes Says I

Turbo - Yes Says I

wrangler rider

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
95 wrangler with 88 4.2 carbed with puguetoe(?) 5spd both fresh rebuilds, spring over, 3inch body, spring arched 2 inches and stiffened, 10 inches of total lift on 36inch tsls 8k mile marker winch, ect.
1969 dodge charger rt se 440, 727 torqueflite 3.55 suregrip with 8 3/4 axle, everyone is making her a headache for me but i love her 1000xs more then my jeep
2005 dodge 3500 cummins 6speed dually work truck, not mine
I'm getting the turbo off my buddy's 2000 f350 diesel truck and I'm going to mount it on my jeeps 1993 200k mile I6. I want a turbo mud truck, who doesnt? How much fun is this project going to be? BTW the turbo puts out 12 pounds on low and 35 pounds on high, so it needs some tunning.
Were going to do what we can to make this cheap since the turbo is free :D

How many turbo I6 wranglers are there anyway?

The turbo will be to big and you won't get it to spool without a ton of RPM's.
The blow off valve/wastegate will control your boost.
Building a turbo kit is simple but, you need to do your research.
Building a draw thru or blow thru setup?
Look for a turbo in the local junkyard on a motor with similar displacement, something with a integrated wastegate would make things easy. Not familiar with your compression ratio off hand but your gonna want to keep it low around 6 - 7.
With that many miles you might want to change the head gasket and retorque everything.

Good luck, and enjoy your new engine!

i am a school bus mechanic, and i went to school for international, and ford uses international TD engines. i know that the 7.3 TD uses a garret turbo that the boost is controled by vacum and oil pressure which tells the waist gate to open and close. they usually are mounted on top of the valley sitting on a "turbo pedistal" i can honestly say i do not think you will be able to get that turbo to work. and like brock said, your compression ratio is prob to high for that much boost. and also if your fuel injected you will need a higher psi injector. a buddy of mine bought the turbo kit off of jc whitney its a cheep thing and he put it in his 5.7 tahoe two of them they only do 2 or 3 psi i believe, but it made a HUGE difference, and all he had to do was put bigger injectors new head gaskets bigger throtle body (debatable) and of course all the plumbing. but it was worth it and i honestly believe it is more practical, easier, and it can be done unlike the garett turbo for the 7.3 powerstroke td engine. mostly caust the pedistal BS its just not really a universal unit.

i do apologize if it seemed i was talking down to you, it was not my intent. by all means good luck if you persue useing that turbo. if not and you understand what i said it may be good idea to put that unit on ebay u may get a couple of bens for it. and with that you could get the more universal turbo kit like i mentioned. either way good luck keep un updated with what you do what problems u come across and end result. :chug:

Thanks yall, Bio it just sounds like your talking what you know not down or up to anyone lol.
Can I make a custom badass set up where it is on a cable to the throttle and when the throttle is up the wastegate opens and when its pushed down it closes?
Not have it hooked up to oil pressure and all that just cable pulling it? and have it run full time?
You know what I'm getting at?
At idle the gate it pushed up but the cable and when I press the gas it closes more the more I push on the gas

well idts only because like i said the turbo sits on a pedistal that the waist gate is located and regulated. weather it be by HIGH oil pressure (100-300 psi) low oil pressure 30-60psi or vacum. some units with the 7.3 acutally would use two ways to operate it. weahter it be high or low oil pressure and vacum. cables i dont think will have the strength to do that job. good idea tho. if you could get a duramax turbo 6.5 for a blazer or silverado, years later 80s throgh 02 will be a much easier turbo to fab up things for. or like i ssaid that jcwhitney kit.

here is a picture one form of a turbo pedistal there are like 5 idfferent shaps and funtions
C:\Documents and Settings\nacole blair\My Documents\My Pictures
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/vitalidle/Truckpics002.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-03-7-3l-powerstroke-problems/44931-7-3-diesel-turbo-wastegate-operation.html&usg=__cssD4qYw_f7Cj2ipQ884gFgrwt0=&h=600&w=800&sz=171&hl=en&start=38&sig2=IS-5ebcvjmSnMSp99fhIyA&um=1&tbnid=j-mknvZl2NEEwM:&tbnh=107&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3D7.3l%2Bturbo%2Bpedestal%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26start%3D36%26um%3D1&ei=hcg6S8zyEojj8Ab-7LGPBw

im still trying to find out how to load a picture

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom