Twin Stick Dana 300's

Twin Stick Dana 300's

cjbilly

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ 7 with rebuilt AMC 360/ 2 bbl. with Turbo 400 and Dana 20 transfer case (twin sticked). Dual red-top Optima's. Lokar shifter with rebuilt/modified tranny. Dual Flowmasters out the back.
1985 Dana 30 and 1986 CJ Dana 44 with 3.73's. Steering box brace. Central axle, tranny and transfer case breather box. Detroit locker (rear) and ARB (front). 35x 12.50-15 MT/R's on 15 x10 ION alum. simulated beadlocks.
What is everyone's opinion on them? You either love it, hate it or is ready to buy one soon. :drool:
I loved mine after I installed it on trail jeep. It had a LINCOLN LOCKER up front. My 84 CJ has a twin stick on the GM Turbo 400 / Dana 20 combo units..

I love mine, I use it all the time on the trail.
I run the trail in 2 WD low and only kick in the front wheels as needed.
I do run an auto though so I let it shift to the gear it likes.

I love mine as well. I didnt spring for the over-priced shifter kit, I couldnt believe what they were actually asking for those...So I ended up building mine utilizing some 1/4" plate steel and an extra Dana 300 shifter I aquired. The blueprint for this was circulating the web for quite some time and I took advantage of it.

Now...for those wanting to build their own like I did, be aware that a Dana 300 shifter is not cheap, you would think they were made of gold. Occasionally you can find one that someone is selling for $10-$20-$30 on the intraweb, so stay away from parts houses.

Offroad, I use mine all the time. Taking the frontend out of drive while keeping the rear in low gear is nice, especially with a locker in the frontend. And using the front wheel drive option is usefull not only for front digs, but there have situations where I was about to lose my rearend and taking power away from it saved me from ending up in really bad shape.

I say two thumbs up on the twinstick conversion :booze:

I did it to my Dana 20 . Works great!

I have never used a twin stick. How do they work? Isnt it just optional 4wd when using low gears

I have never used a twin stick. How do they work? Isnt it just optional 4wd when using low gears

Per the factory set-up, one (1) shifter operates BOTH the front and rear driveshafts within the Transfer Case . Either both axles will be in 2WD or 4WD at the same time .
With the twin stick opinion, the LEFT shifter controls the rear axle, while the RIGHT shifter controls the front. The twin stick shifter will allow you to shift your Transfer Case into HIGH or LOW range in either two or four wheel drive. The twin stick will also allow you be in 2WD LOW (rear axle only) using the stock Transfer Case settings.

If you want to open up the Transfer Case and modify the indexing of the shift rods, you can have 2WD LOW (FRONT AXLE ONLY WITH REAR AXLE SHIFTED TO N) for front wheel digs. I hope I explained it clear enough for you.

Here is a sample of the new shift pattern.
twinsticks005.jpg

Way back when the world was young and the CJ was new I was told to never run 4L with the hubs unlocked. the unbalanced torque would terminate the TC. I guess this was just someones opinion.:cool:

Way back when the world was young and the CJ was new I was told to never run 4L with the hubs unlocked. the unbalanced torque would terminate the TC. I guess this was just someones opinion.:cool:

:confused: Not sure, but I know I run in rear low alot.
But hey my front hubs are locked in. :D

I didn't have to do this with my Dana 300

CLARIFICATION:
I have heard several different comments on this. Since I sold my 1980 CJ with the twin stick setup this year, I can't go out and try it out myself. LOL
I may be wrong and didn't want to lead anyone down the wrong trail. :confused:

I was told that the interlock ball bearing/ pills inside the Transfer Case have to be removed and/or modify the indexing on the rods to allow front digs in front wheel drive LOW range (rear axle in neutral).

On the other hand, I read that the interlock ball bearing/ pills prevent the use of front wheel drive HIGH range (rear axle in neutral). Front wheel drive LOW range (rear axle in neutral) is attainable with the twinstick, without transfer modification and the lockouts left in place.

Thanks CJim7 for the posting. :chug:

CLARIFICATION:
I have heard several different comments on this. Since I sold my 1980 CJ with the twin stick setup this year, I can't go out and try it out myself. LOL
I may be wrong and didn't want to lead anyone down the wrong trail. :confused:

I was told that the interlock ball bearing/ pills inside the Transfer Case have to be removed and/or modify the indexing on the rods to allow front digs in front wheel drive LOW range (rear axle in neutral).

On the other hand, I read that the interlock ball bearing/ pills prevent the use of front wheel drive HIGH range (rear axle in neutral). Front wheel drive LOW range (rear axle in neutral) is attainable with the twinstick, without transfer modification and the lockouts left in place.

Thanks CJim7 for the posting. :chug:

I remember there being a discussion/controversy years ago about the Dana 20 and it involved the detent and the interlock.

I was working on my twin sticks a few weeks ago.
Just to confirm what was said if i remember correctly without modifying the shift rail or losing the interlock pills the case will shift into anything except front high only. I don't really know of any situations where you would need front high only?

When i rebuilt my Dana 300 i just ended up removing the pills...just incase i ever find a situation where i need front high. Of course i run the risk of binding the case but i think it would give you some warning like violent shaking before it gives....unless your doing something stupid.

My home built sticks, finished up a few weeks ago.

TwinStick08.jpg
TwinStick06.jpg

So. this twin stick option can be done to any Dana 300 ?

Yes, I have a set on a TC146 Scout AKA Dana 300 It works great.

^^^ I have the same set, they work great.^^^

^^^ I have the same set, they work great.^^^

Hey old dog do you sometimes have trouble disengaging the front axle from 4hi. WHen I switch into 4x4 to go through some snow sometimes I can easily slide the front out and sometimes it won't let go. I wonder if my lever is binding or if its just a Dana 300 thing.

Sometimes I have to back-up a short distance to get it out of 4x4.
It's just a gear driven case thing.:D
A shot of greese every now and than don't hurt though.

I just went out and tryed mine, with the rear in N I can get front low but not front high. The pills are still stock.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom