Twin Stick? What, why- and should I have it?

Twin Stick? What, why- and should I have it?

escobar

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ5 258. MC2150 carb, PSC steering, Team Rush upgrade, 1 piece rear axles, all electronics relayed. Coming soon: Herculined tub, camo paint- and a bunch of filthy, muddy kids!
Well the title explains it.

What is the the purpose of a twin stick Transfer Case ? Is this a mod beneficial to me or even possible on a Dana 20 ?

Hey great link. That really sums it up. I think its probably not the thing for me though- at least not yet.

Had to ask though. I don't want to miss out on any fun options during this project. My twin boys pointed out a twin-stick set to me on an old '47 pic when we were looking for camo paint jobs onliine.

My transfer shifter has a lot of play though, probably gonna have to address that sooner than later.

Thanks for the link buddy.

Hey great link. That really sums it up. I think its probably not the thing for me though- at least not yet.

Had to ask though. I don't want to miss out on any fun options during this project. My twin boys pointed out a twin-stick set to me on an old '47 pic when we were looking for camo paint jobs onliine.

My transfer shifter has a lot of play though, probably gonna have to address that sooner than later.

Thanks for the link buddy.
If slop in the shifter is your problem just get a new shifter linkage.I had to and it made a huge dif

If you are going to run woods trails the 2wd low is really nice.
It will also make for an easier shifting tc.
I love mine offroad, it makes it easy to shift in and out of 4wd.

Last edited:
Where did you buy it at?

I agree with OldDog, it is very nice to have off road. Once you get used to having it, it is much more efficient than a stock setup. Being able to quickly unlock the front end on hard turns while still in lo really helps.

I agree with OldDog, it is very nice to have off road. Once you get used to having it, it is much more efficient than a stock setup. Being able to quickly unlock the front end on hard turns while still in lo really helps.

Same here. I love mine and use it all the time. I recommend it.

Hay I just read that link that was posted farther up and as far as i know not nearly that much work is required. Just take off the single stick and put on the twin stick that simple. I don't see the need for the taking apart of the case, the welding , or the grinding.

Once you use a twin stick you will never want to drive a single again :notworthy:

Dana 20 single stick shifters are sloppy even with good linkage. I love the JB Stainless shifter I installed a couple weeks ago. You might have to do a slight bit of trimming on the floor plate, but otherwise they're really easy to install and adjust! You can buy directly from the JB web site for the same as people sell them on ebay for. I paid about $140, and it was worth every penny. They also come with the knobs, a twin rubber boot, a stainless boot bezzle and screws, and a sticker with your new shift pattern.

With your Dana 20 Transfer Case , you don't need a twinstick just to get 2wd low. You already have it. There is already a position for it with detents. It is just forward of the 4wd low. It just isn't marked on the knob.

The only advantage you will gain with a twin-stick is the ability to disconnect the rear axle and run the front axle only. Although it is handy in an emergency, and of course for front digs .

Last edited:
With your Dana 20 Transfer Case , you don't need a twinstick just to get 2wd low. You already have it. There is already a position for it with detents. It is just forward of the 4wd low. It just isn't marked on the knob.

The only advantage you will gain with a twin-stick is the ability to disconnect the rear axle and run the front axle only. Although it is handy in an emergency, and of course for front digs .

Not all 20's will hit 2 wheel low with the stock shifter. I could never find it with my stock shifter.

The twin stick setup is worth it. They're very firm and accurate. No more guessing if it's in the gear you want. They don't cost much, and let's be honest, they look really cool! :D

If you had the straight pattern shifter, you should have been able to find 2L.

4H
2H
neutral
(2L)
4L

It actually would be easy enough to verify. Start out in neutral, then pull the lever back untill you feel the next detent. You could watch (from below) the left shift lever shaft moving while the right shaft sits still. That puts the rear in the low range detent while the front is still in the neutral detent (WooHoo 2 Wheel-Low!).

To get in 4 low, you have to continue moving the shifter untill the right shaft engages low range for the front axle. That's why you have to pull back so far to get in 4 low with the straight pattern shifter.

If you had the straight pattern shifter, you should have been able to find 2L.

4H
2H
neutral
(2L)
4L

It actually would be easy enough to verify. Start out in neutral, then pull the lever back untill you feel the next detent. You could watch (from below) the left shift lever shaft moving while the right shaft sits still. That puts the rear in the low range detent while the front is still in the neutral detent (WooHoo 2 Wheel-Low!).

To get in 4 low, you have to continue moving the shifter untill the right shaft engages low range for the front axle. That's why you have to pull back so far to get in 4 low with the straight pattern shifter.

Not a newby mechanic here.:rolleyes: I know my old and new shifters and my Transfer Case very well. Trust me, it wouldn't go into 2 low with the stock shifter period. I've read about the quirks of Dana 20 's and everyone has a different opinion that's almost solely based on their own experience with their Dana 20 . It really depends on the specific Transfer Case , how many miles are on it, and how sloppy the stock shifter linkage is and where. Some people even report that they can shift into just front wheel drive with a twin stick without having first removed the interlock pills to allow it. In the case of my old shifter, the slop wasn't in the right place to get the rear rod to click in to low without the front rod also clicking out of neutral and into low. Maybe the OP will have 2 wheel low with his stock shifter, maybe he won't. Only he can check to see if he does.

Either way, it's a fact that the stock sloppy Dana 20 single shifters suck big time even when they're brand new. A twin stick is superior in every way, including just being flat out cool.....:cool:

Rescue-
Pretty hard to imagine both detents locking at the same time based on the way the linkage is made. I think you just got lucky (unlucky).
You will get no argument from me though on the upsides of a twin stick 20. I also installed one on mine and really like it.
:chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom