Twin Sticks: Eye candy or function?

Twin Sticks: Eye candy or function?

DieselJeep

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5, Isuzu 1.8L 4FB1 Diesel
Hi everyone, been collecting the major parts for the build, and seems the last final component for me is a Dana 300 . :D

So, my question is, why have a "Twin Sticks" setup?
Of course it looks killer, but is there a reason or operational improvement to have one? Or is it possible if operated wrong, will blow the Transfer Case ?

Thanks for the info and opinions!

:chug:

Hi everyone, been collecting the major parts for the build, and seems the last final component for me is a Dana 300 . :D

So, my question is, why have a "Twin Sticks" setup?
Of course it looks killer, but is there a reason or operational improvement to have one? Or is it possible if operated wrong, will blow the Transfer Case ?

Thanks for the info and opinions!

If your like me & running a locking differential in your front axle it makes it easier to maneuver especially in tight quarters.
Also 2 low can come in handy for various reasons.

If your like me & running a locking differential in your front axle it makes it easier to maneuver especially in tight quarters.
Also 2 low can come in handy for various reasons.

Thanks for the reply!

Hmmn.
So what if your front axles are stock?
How would it be easier to maneuver?
Sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean by "2 low"?

My only experience with Jeep transfer cases is Limited to driving a 1997 Wrangler.

And so it's not possible to hurt the Transfer Case using it?
Unless, say, trying to drive at 50 with it engaged?

Thanks for the help!

You're not cool if you don't have at least 6 shift levers in your jeep.
DerklandT98.JPG

Seriously, a twin stick setup is nice off road.
With the Twin Stick there is one lever to put the front axle into high, low or neutral. Then there is a separate lever for the rear. That way you can shift the rear into low and keep the front in neutral. hence 2WD low.
The twin stick makes shifting the tcase more versatile but you want to be careful. If you are careless when you shift from 4WD high to 4WD low you may get the front in low and the rear in high. This will bind the TCase. Of course the jeep won't go anywhere and you will have a hard time shifting the levers back in the correct position.
Lockers increase your turning radius because they like to go strait. The twin stick even helps out there but they are good even if you have open diffs.
One advantage of the twin shift is you can put it in front wheel drive for very tight turning radius. Put the parking brake on and you can almost pivot around your rear wheels. If there is a bank at the side of the trail it helps to turn around so your front end is on an uphill side.

Last edited:
You're not cool if you don't have at least 6 shift levers in your jeep. Seriously, a twin stick setup is nice off road.
With the Twin Stick there is one lever to put the front axle into high, low or neutral. Then there is a separate lever for the rear. That way you can shift the rear into low and keep the front in neutral. hence 2WD low.
The twin stick makes shifting the tcase more versatile but you want to be careful. If you are careless when you shift from 4WD high to 4WD low you may get the front in low and the rear in high. This will bind the TCase. Of course the jeep won't go anywhere and you will have a hard time shifting the levers back in the correct position.
Lockers increase your turning radius because they like to go strait. The twin stick even helps out there but they are good even if you have open diffs.
One advantage of the twin shift is you can put it in front wheel drive for very tight turning radius. Put the parking brake on and you can almost pivot around your rear wheels. If there is a bank at the side of the trail it helps to turn around so your front end is on an uphill side.

Wow. That WOULD be much more versatile! I had heard there was a way to garf the Transfer Case as well, so I was a bit leery.

Well, definitely sounds like a twin stick is going on the "To Buy" list!

I'm good on all that, myself. Simplicity is good.

Thanks a million for the reply, and good info!! I'd been poking @ looking, but couldn't find a clear explanation.

Very concise, Bro!!

Just make sure you have a cheet sheet or decal for it's operation:D. My 3b and it's dana 18 has a twin stick and as seldom as I drive it I never remember what does what and have to look at my dash plackard when shifting.

Just make sure you have a cheet sheet or decal for it's operation:D. My 3b and it's dana 18 has a twin stick and as seldom as I drive it I never remember what does what and have to look at my dash plackard when shifting.

3SpeedTwinStk.jpg

This site has most shift pattern stickers and can make custom ones... :)

CJ Decals

IMHO the twin stick is one of the best mods you can do if your going to be trail riding.

Fully agree with these guys. Makes driving on the trails easier, especially with a locker. My son was able to drive his rig home from the trail after tearing up his rear axle using front wheel only.

Myself, I have done a couple front wheel 'digs' to make the Jeep pivot around the rear end in tight locations.

Easy upgrade, not real expensive, and well worth every penny in my opinion.

I will definitely get an operation sticker as well.
TY for the link!

First time I've ever heard of a $120 (or so) mod doing so dang much to increase a components versatility, and the "get home" safety margin. Amazing, really!

Thanks for all the very sage advice and real world story of how it could save my butt!

:notworthy:

One issue that does arise every now and then is the rear lever popping into neutral going down hill. My 300 does it on occasion. Not familiar with a Dana 20 , but on the Dana 300 it is impossible to have the front and rear outputs in different ranges. No front high and rear low or other combos possible. There also is no front 2wd high option. To engage the front output in high range, the rear must also be in gear. So with a Dana 300 , your options are
Rear wheel high,
4wd high,
Neutral,
Rear Low
Front low,
4wd low.

Been wheeling my CJ with a twin stick for 6 years and found it is easier and quicker to reposition the vehicle than try a front dig. I have done it once and wasn't worth the effort.

on the Dana 300 it is impossible to have the front and rear outputs in different ranges.
True, Dana 300 's and some Dana 20 's have detent rods that prevent you from shifting your TCase into positions the may be self destructive.
l_d879dbc77bbe45e9a67d380be3671130.jpg

Some Dana 20 TCases you can't even go in to front wheel drive without removing or modifying these detent rails. Check out this link for details:
DANA 20 TRANSFERCASE TWIN STICK SHIFTER CONVERSION
Some Dana 20 's had the mechanism in the shift lever that would prevent you from messing up the shifting. I have a Dana 20 that used to have a shift lever like this:
Fsjt1803.jpg
The TCase lever had a U shift pattern. When I removed the OEM shift lever to put on a twin stick I found I could position any lever in any location.
DieselJeep you are talking about a Dana 300 so what csuengr is true about the shifting options.
On the other hand DieselJeep you say you have a '74 CJ5 . That should have a Dana 20 TCase. Are you planning on swapping it out or has it already been replace with a Dana 300 .

Last edited:
Losta great input here! :chug:
Yessir. Actually, I am putting in an 4fb1 Isuzu 1.8l diesel that I am Supercharging (M90 from a T-Bird) for motovation.
Bolts right up to a T-5 (just got one, rebuilding it) with an uber rare Isuzu Rodeo Bellhousing.
Dana 300 bolts right up to T-5 . :D

Here's my build:
http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f98/1974-cj5-1-8l-4fb1-isuzu-diesel-8925/

And apparently none of this has been done with this motor/Transmission combo before that I can find.

So yeah, totally custom, uncharted waters.

:madjeep:

I will definitely get an operation sticker as well.
TY for the link!

First time I've ever heard of a $120 (or so) mod doing so dang much to increase a components versatility, and the "get home" safety margin. Amazing, really!

Thanks for all the very sage advice and real world story of how it could save my butt!

:notworthy:
got mine for the D- 300 on E- bay new for $60 :cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom