Vin plate

Vin plate

cbdeajr

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
83,CJ7,151,
Grandson just got a 2003 CJ7 to restore. I get to help LOL. The main problem is we can not find the Vin plate. The last owner sprayed the entire Jeep with something like Rhino bed liner, inside and out. We are going by the info on the title (vin. number) but not sure if that is correct. The engine is listed as a 155, but is a AMC 304 .
I would like to know where the Vin plate should be and does anyone know the best way to remove the bed liner material?

On your 83 there should be a plate on the firewall below the wiring harness connection as shown above. There should be another plate riveted to the windshield frame with the wiper motor. The vin tag/strip will be riveted on the top of this plate. Also on the frame, passenger side, rear wheel hump.

Thanks, with everything covered with bed liner I did not want to just start remove it from every bump on the body.

If you find the VIN plate, there is plenty of information on how to decode it. If you don't, you can look at the frame where the hump is at the rear passenger wheel. Part of the serial number should be stamped there. This is a real problem when Jeeps are restored / rebuilt. Changes are made that do not reflect the correct VIN number. Also some VIN number plates are removed or lost with a body swap. So it could be that the body was swapped, the VIN plate removed since it didn't match the paper work, and nobody bothered to check it after that. There was also a sticker that was on the left side of the dash board that showed the VIN number. Most of these are trashed during a rebuild too.

The dash sticker wouldn't apply to his 83, I believe they stop using them after 79.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom