vortec power!

vortec power!

bigtruckcity

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
82 cj7,78 cj5,98 dodge ram,76 ford f100,80 chevy
:confused: i am wanting to put a 5.3 vortec in my CJ7 and was wondering where i could get a set of conversion motor mounts? i may decide to build a set if i get the motor mocked up and can get the measurements that i need.

That's a good conversion for your CJ. It will require mounts, Transmission adapters, exhaust, driveshaft mods, a wiring harness, and could also need a rad and hoses, PW Steering hoses, and other small assorted items. You'll have to do some fab work on moving the Transmission brackets as well as the engine mount brackets.

All the adapters and mounts are available. I suggest Novak as they are about the best in my book. Here is a page on Vortec engines in a CJ. -->> GM Gen III LS & Vortec Engine Mounts for Jeeps

But I have to ask, why not an AMC 360 or 401? It's almost a bolt in and will be a fun project? Just a suggestion... :)

:chug: thanks for the input and the link. i would go with one of those engines but i got the engine for free minus a intake and i already have a chevy SM465 to mate the vortec with.i also have a waterproof marine fusebox and wire so i figured i would just wire just the necessities to keep from having to buy a wiring harness.

Makes sense then... Keep us updated and ask any question you may have. There are some pretty sharp folks here... :)

that sounds like a fun project. you would have plenty of power. good luck.

The link provided above is really informative abt CJ7 . Putting a 5.3 vortec in a CJ7 is an excellent conversion.! Wud hav done it for myself If I had possessed 1.!
And wat abt the suggestion provided by CJ? Had the topic creator did it as specified?

I'm finishing up this project right now, and its a handful, any questions you have, let me know especially when ordering adapters, there are some application specific things about jeeps they just dont know about, and it cost me a lot of money to get it right. For instance, the T-18 Transmission for the older CJ's has a shorter input shaft that other T-18s in other applications, you tell them T-18 for a cj and they think standard T-18 , WRONG. When getting the adapter, pay the extra money and get the bellhousing. There are a lot of ins and outs to this swap that I had to learn on my own and NOBODY had warned me for them. Its a BIG project to get into.

But when its done, it starts the first time and runs like a raped ape...

I'm finishing up this project right now, and its a handful, any questions you have, let me know especially when ordering adapters, there are some application specific things about jeeps they just dont know about, and it cost me a lot of money to get it right. For instance, the T-18 Transmission for the older CJ's has a shorter input shaft that other T-18s in other applications, you tell them T-18 for a cj and they think standard T-18 , WRONG. When getting the adapter, pay the extra money and get the bellhousing. There are a lot of ins and outs to this swap that I had to learn on my own and NOBODY had warned me for them. Its a BIG project to get into.

But when its done, it starts the first time and runs like a raped ape...
Great to here you have a Vortec in a CJ. :notworthy:

Are you saying Advance or Novak got the CJ Transmission wrong? :confused: That would be weird as there sure as hell should know the input shaft for a CJ is shorter then a truck application. ;)

I told both Novak and Advanced adapters what I had and was very detailed, they both sent me the adapter plate which put too much distance between the engine and Transmission so the input shaft of the Transmission would not connect to the clutch. Through my own research, I found that the input shaft was shorter on only the CJ T-18 's as opposed to any other T-18 for the Scouts, Ford 1/2 and 3/4 ton pickups and J pickups. They knew what a T-18 was and some applications, but the specific application for the CJ they had no clue.

This is my 5.3L all hooked up, and it runs.

jeep009.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom