Warn AMC 20 full floater hub removal

Warn AMC 20 full floater hub removal

JamesBryan

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7. LS1/TH350, ARB's front and rear, Warn full floating AMC 20 w/SSBC disk brakes, Ramsey 9000 winch, Custom Paint w/ghost flames
OK, I have the internal part of the hub out. How do i get the stinking hub rotor off. The internet has not been very helpful as far as searching.
ATTACH]

ATTACH]

ATTACH]

New pad vs. Old pad :eek:
ATTACH]

the round "washer " with the 4 square notches in the edge, is actually a nut.
takes a special socket to fit the notches. available at most parts houses, honest.:cool:

Yup Io's got it! Spindle lock nut shown in photo 1. pretty much as found on your front axle but not hex shape.

Thanks guys. I'll go looking for one tomorrow...

OK....Got the spanner nut off. Now there a slotted looking washer with a tange tab? That sucker is not coming out. It will slid side to side as the tab in the cut out part. Is that just suppose to slid out? How? And then does the hub and rotor then pull off or do i need a puller of some type
ATTACH]

ATTACH]

ATTACH]

Edit: After intensive internet searching.... This washer should slide off with some encouragement. and theres is anothere spanner nut behind this? Does that sound correct? I fabbbed up a little tool to hopefully get behind the washer to work it out. What a pain this is turning out to be.........

Last edited:
It will be a lot easier next time. I use a 3/32 welding rod with a bend in the end to pull the washer out. If you dislike the axle please let me make you an offer on it.:D
what gear ratio do you have??:cool:

I am curious about the disc brake set up. What do know about that?

To say that this has been an experience....The calipers are from a 89 Chevy Camaro.... WTF? The pads from SSBC do not fit. Got the correct pads from Auto Zone by going through many boxes and cross ref. the calipers. And now the rotors are too thick. Just a hair.....So I got a rotor from Auto Zone for a 78 CJ, and its too thick. Any ideas on rotors...

To say that this has been an experience....The calipers are from a 89 Chevy Camaro.... WTF? The pads from SSBC do not fit. Got the correct pads from Auto Zone by going through many boxes and cross ref. the calipers. And now the rotors are too thick. Just a hair.....So I got a rotor from Auto Zone for a 78 CJ, and its too thick. Any ideas on rotors...

There were 76-78 rotors that were 1-1/8" thick and 78+ were 7/8" thick.

I run 78 Monte Carlo calipers with the 7/8" rotor.

In the photo of the washer, at 11 o'clock see the pin on the inner locknut? That's why the washer has all those slots. I use 2 magnets to wiggle it off. The outer acts as a jamb nut.

Well after messing with this for more than I cared to. The calipers willl not fit over the CJ rotors. Who knows what the previous owner had on this. So I decided to just buy some SSBC rotors and redo the disk brakes. I've gotten real good at getting the Warn hubs off :D

Thanks for all the help on this. Maybe I'll make a thread about installing the new calipers when I get them in.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom