Water Pump Groan

Water Pump Groan

MDJEEPER

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep CJ

Mostly stock, 258 c.i.d., T-176 tranny, Dana 30 front, AMC 20 rear, Dana 300 t-case, 31x10.50 tires, 2 inch body lift
Guys,

About a month ago I replaced my water pump and haven't had any problem with it since then. However, this morning I pulled the fans belts off to do some other work and happened to bump up against the fan. This caused the water pump to let out a low pitched groan as it turned a bit. I then took the fan off (which I was going to do anyway) and turned the pump a little by hand...and again there's this low pitched groan when it's rotating.

Now, I haven't drained the system, nor have I run then engine for any length of time. There are no antifreeze leaks and everything else seems normal.

I am hoping this does not mean that the brand new water pump is defective, but rather just something about it being installed and the system filled with antifreeze. What do you think??

It might be just the seal on the shaft making a little noise cause it hasn't seated yet.Did you put any water pump lube and rust inhibitor in yet?
2 cents worth
Mike

It might be just the seal on the shaft making a little noise cause it hasn't seated yet.Did you put any water pump lube and rust inhibitor in yet?
2 cents worth
Mike

Thanks! I think you are exactly right about the noise...And no, I haven't put any additives in yet. Do you have a favorite??

Not really i put some Zerox or something like that in my truck today.I always used distilled water for the radiator keeps some of the calcium chunks down.Antifreeze has some lubricating quality to it.Rust and pump lube was just a personel thing.Radiator shops here said it couldn't hurt nothing.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom