Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ-7
4.2L AMC I6
Borg-Warner T-4
Dana 20 Transfer Case
Dana 30 front
2-piece AMC 20 rear
I have a 1976 CJ7 and love it. Recently though, as old men are prone to, it began shaking and I just can't pin down where it's coming from, so I was hoping to get y'alls opinion on it. I'm relatively new to CJs and since you guys seem to know them inside out I figured you'd know what to do.

It happens at every speed and in every gear. It seems to be associated with how far the gas pedal is pressed. The farther down the gas pedal is, the worse it shakes. I can get up to speed by accelerating really slowly, but obviously I cant do that with city driving. As far as I can tell it's in the front end, but I can't figure out where.

So there it is, if you think you know what it is, or if you need more information/clarification, let me know. I'll be happy to provide pictures of whatever you like as well. Thanks in advance!!!

Have you checked the tires to see if you have thrown a wheel weight or maybe busted a belt in a tire?

When was the last time you checked tie rod, ball joint, drag link and steering box play? Sounds like a hardware issue to me. What about shackle bushings and steering shaft couplers?

Have you checked the tires to see if you have thrown a wheel weight or maybe busted a belt in a tire?

I'm actually swapping out for a set of Fierce Attitude M/T's so if that's it it'll get fixed soon, but wouldn't that cause vibration by speed and not gas pedal usage?

When was the last time you checked tie rod, ball joint, drag link and steering box play? Sounds like a hardware issue to me. What about shackle bushings and steering shaft couplers?

Last time I got inspected they did mention a grinding sound coming from the steering box, so I'll check that out. Wouldn't tie rod, ball joint, drag link, steering box, etc vibrate by speed as well? Mine really only does it when the gas pedals down. Once I let off the pedal it immediately stops, no matter how fast I'm going.

If it is doing it only under a load or acceleration, it could possibly be u-joints. Where do you feel it most? Steering wheel, shifter, accelerator peddle?

If it is doing it only under a load or acceleration, it could possibly be u-joints. Where do you feel it most? Steering wheel, shifter, accelerator peddle?

Steering and pedals. It's present on the shifter, but not as much.

had a similar issue last year, wound up being the flywheel is it an auto Transmission ? i caught this thing right before it was about to shear off, so dont let it go to long, u can look through the inspection port in ur bellhousing and you'll see if its messed up, lol. good luck,

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom