Welded rear end, now what?

Welded rear end, now what?

mdbulger

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Just bought my first jeep, a 79 CJ-7 that someone else did some modification on. Figuring out what is the challenge.
We bought our first CJ7 recently and we love it, but... It's a 79 with a 6 clyn and a 4 inch lift. The last owner told me that someone welded the rear end to make it positive traction (and it shows, it's eaten the right rear tire). He also told me that he thinks someone replaced the running gear with gear from a 91.

Opened the rear end last night and boy did they ever weld it up! No chance of knocking the welds out. Problem is that the covers were replaced and the only numbers I can find are on the ring gear (22693 dana 42722 p 8L 623379).

Should I try to figure out what the original gearing is and replace the welded parts, or I have heard people talking about swapping out the rear end for a ford explorer rear end and then I have rear disc breaks. Really not sure what the best course is here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

You will need a new carrier. You can get an open differential, a locker or a Limited slip.
You can reuse the ring and pinion gears but you will still need to find out what gearing you have. The differential carrier is different for the tall gearing.

The rear gearing will be the same as the front ... ;)

We bought our first CJ7 recently and we love it, but... It's a 79 with a 6 clyn and a 4 inch lift. The last owner told me that someone welded the rear end to make it positive traction (and it shows, it's eaten the right rear tire). He also told me that he thinks someone replaced the running gear with gear from a 91.

Opened the rear end last night and boy did they ever weld it up! No chance of knocking the welds out. Problem is that the covers were replaced and the only numbers I can find are on the ring gear (22693 dana 42722 p 8L 623379).

Should I try to figure out what the original gearing is and replace the welded parts, or I have heard people talking about swapping out the rear end for a ford explorer rear end and then I have rear disc breaks. Really not sure what the best course is here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Welcome to the site ! Hope you spend more time driving your rig than working on it.

Any pictures would be greatly appreciated!!! (and helpful).

If we knew what you had via pictures, we could provide you with some options, but it would be nice to know what you have. I see you provided ring and pinion numbers, not many of use have Dana/Spicer parts lookup, so they are of little help other than we know you dont have the stock AMC Model 20 that belongs in there.

So does the axle width look more Wrangler, or stock 79 Cj (narrow axle width) pictures would help there too. You could have a 44 from a 75 or earlier too (narrow track), which would be worth repairing, where as if you have a Dana 35 in the rear, Id be looking for a set of stock Cj axles (for cost, simplicity, reliability).

As everyone else has said, snap a few pics of the rear and we can tell you more. Personaly if it were me and someone did put a dana 35 in it (you said it was out of a 91) I would start looking for that ford explorer rear.

Or a Dana 44 . . .

We don't have a clue what you have without a picture.

Most CJ's (except old ones) have an AMC20 rear end. It has a very round cover like this:
d_model20.jpg

Lets hope a PO didn't install a Dana 35 rear end. It's got an oval cover like this:
dana35.JPG

A Dana 44 is a good axle with a cover shaped like this:
cover_dana44.jpg

Those are the most likely rear ends but if a PO swapped out the axle it is anyone's guess what is in there. If none of the above pictures look like what you have then you will need to take your own picture.

EDIT: a Dana 60 is a very heavy duty axle and cover looks just like the Dana 44 , right down to the 10 bolts. Here's a Dana 60:
Dana%2060%20front%20heavy%20duty%20differential%20cover.jpg

Last edited:
And if it is a Dana 44 , just use it...The rear 44 in mine is welded up, and (when it runs) its a daily driver. I actually think its fun to howl those 35" Swampers tires on hot asphalt and have everyone looking, trying to figure out who is driving like a maniac! lol

Also, it really helps traction in the mud, where I spend most of my time anyways!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom