Well I had to put a clutch in calamity

Well I had to put a clutch in calamity

Thorwon

Active Jeeper
Resources
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1966 CJ5 134"F" 3sp with Warn OD
I got in her Friday to go to work and when I started to put her in gear the throw-out bearing started screaming. So I called all the local parts houses and Advanced said they could get the clutch over nite. It cost $158 for a new clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing and pilot bushing.
I found several PO screw ups while changing it out. someone had stripped the lower starter bolt and just left it in the hole, the bolts that hold the clutch piviot bracket to the front of the bell housing were broken off in the bell housing and drilled through and they put in 1/4" bolts to hold it (they should be 5/16").
The starter bolt was a easy fix, I just put in a heli-coil.
I started trying to get the other bolts out (all that was left were the threads) and I could not get anything to grab them. So I decided to try and run a tap in from the back. It worked great when the tap hit what was left of the bolts they turned with the tap and unscrewed.
:chug:
Job done, new clutch works great.

The starter bolt was a easy fix, I just put in a heli-coil.
I started trying to get the other bolts out (all that was left were the threads) and I could not get anything to grab them. So I decided to try and run a tap in from the back. It worked great when the tap hit what was left of the bolts they turned with the tap and unscrewed.
:chug:
Job done, new clutch works great.

I wish things would go that ease for me.:eek:

Nice. It took me 2 days to get a fragged pilot bushing out of my '85. See your ahead of the game. :) Considering the "fixes" the p.o. did it may be time to really go over the rest if its a somewhat new jeep to you.

great job glad everything for the most part went smooth, And do not get me started on PO's and Jeeps :censored: :mad:

Nice. It took me 2 days to get a fragged pilot bushing out of my '85. See your ahead of the game. :) Considering the "fixes" the p.o. did it may be time to really go over the rest if its a somewhat new jeep to you.

great job glad everything for the most part went smooth, And do not get me started on PO's and Jeeps :censored: :mad:

I've been fixing one thing after another from the POs (I don't know how many).:eek:
My wires under the dash are a nightmare, but I'm not going to touch them as long as every thing works. I plan to replace the tub next spring and she will get new wires and I'll fix all the other things I find then.:chug:
And you're right about POs, it frightens me to think how some people "fix things".:eek:

I've been fixing one thing after another from the POs (I don't know how many).:eek:
My wires under the dash are a nightmare, but I'm not going to touch them as long as every thing works. I plan to replace the tub next spring and she will get new wires and I'll fix all the other things I find then.:chug:
And you're right about POs, it frightens me to think how some people "fix things".:eek:
I'm facing this nightmare now. A bunch of half-***'d work everywhere. I'm wondering if I would be better off starting with a fresh harness?
I bought my Jeep non-running, so I'm not sure what works and doesn't. I might try to put in a battery to see if the assy's work.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom