Jelwell1982

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7 stripped, stolen recovery...
partial 4.2L 258ci
1990 Ford Bronco 5.8L
So to anyone following along....
My 85 CJ7 was returned to me last month after being stolen a year ago. It was completely stripped. I thoughT i could get it running by replacing few parts stolen off the engine. I was wrong. The engine is seized.
Now I spent some time thinking and decided to forge ahead with the cj...there is plenty I can do before I decide what to do about the engine.
I have never pulled an engine(a classic Vw but that doesn't count). I got the general idea and knowledgeable friends.
What I need to know is:
How can I test my Transmission /Transfer Case /axles/differentials to ensure that when i get my new engine those wont :dung: out soon after...
Thanks again,
This is taking things to beyond my backyard mechanical abilities...lol...but I'm always up for a challenge

Jeremy

Why is the engine seized??:cool:

So to anyone following along....
My 85 CJ7 was returned to me last month after being stolen a year ago. It was completely stripped. I thoughT i could get it running by replacing few parts stolen off the engine. I was wrong. The engine is seized.
Now I spent some time thinking and decided to forge ahead with the cj...there is plenty I can do before I decide what to do about the engine.
I have never pulled an engine(a classic Vw but that doesn't count). I got the general idea and knowledgeable friends.
What I need to know is:
How can I test my Transmission /Transfer Case /axles/differentials to ensure that when i get my new engine those wont :dung: out soon after...
Thanks again,
This is taking things to beyond my backyard mechanical abilities...lol...but I'm always up for a challenge

Jeremy

I'm not sure. I was getting ready to try and get it started and figured the starter and or slenoid were shot. At the end of the day i pulled plugs and couldnt budge the engine and i left it at that.
Guess I will learn more if i get out there tonight.

Poor a little ATF or spray pb blaster thru each spark plug hole let it sit over night then try turning it over using a wrench.

I shot some PB in there tonight...I figure either way it'll need a rebuild....
If memory serves it wasnt the greatest running engine....sketchy oil pressure, billowed black smoke on sharp right turns, rough idle, leaked oil like crazy...
Tonight I also stripped it ready to be pulled whenever I have time to rent a hoist. Didnt realize how many vacuum lines were on that sucker...lol...should be a chore one day if I ever get an engine back in there....:censored:
Right now I am pleased, hopefully it'll move tomorrow, but either way it's prepped to be pulled.
This will be my first attempt at a rebuild...
Meantime, there is plenty of body work to be done...
I need to drain all the fluids from the tranny, transfer and diffs, see what they're condition is...
Any other checks when I get the engine out?
I plan on towing it to a car wash to power wash it to hell!!

That is all for now
:chug:

The guys over at earlyCJ.com had a Meet-N-Greet a couple years ago to work on this old barn find CJ. It had a seized up engine like yours.
They spent a couple days ahead of the meet spraying PB Blaster in the spark plug holes, but never could get enough battery to it to free it up.
During the meet, someone came up with a grand idea to tow it down the road and pop the clutch to force the engine to free up.
Guess who had the duty? :) I was the only one that they thought had a chance of pulling it around. :)
So we hooked it up and dragged it to the road, got up to speed and the guy pops the clutch......
We dragged that CJ almost to the next block with all 4 tires smoking....
Turned it around and did it again...
The third trip it finally broke free with a bang and a spray of PB Blaster (all over the poor test pilot! :laugh:)
So with no operational brakes and the engine turning free we put it back in the yard to try to get it running.
Never did while we were there. Too bad. Left really long black marks up and down the road tho. I bet the neighbors really wondered about that!

Sorry, I just had to share that little bit of fun with ya.

I have had good luck putting the tranny in 4th and rocking it back and forth.
Hey little, what gear did you and your boys use??:cool:

IIRC he started out in 2nd, but I think he went to 3rd on the second trip. All I know is it isn't easy towing a CJ on asphalt with the tires all locked up! :laugh: Good times, tho!

you right. sorry I missed it.:D

IIRC he started out in 2nd, but I think he went to 3rd on the second trip. All I know is it isn't easy towing a CJ on asphalt with the tires all locked up! :laugh: Good times, tho!

I shot some PB in there tonight...I figure either way it'll need a rebuild....
If memory serves it wasnt the greatest running engine....sketchy oil pressure, billowed black smoke on sharp right turns, rough idle, leaked oil like crazy...
Tonight I also stripped it ready to be pulled whenever I have time to rent a hoist. Didnt realize how many vacuum lines were on that sucker...lol...should be a chore one day if I ever get an engine back in there....:censored:
Right now I am pleased, hopefully it'll move tomorrow, but either way it's prepped to be pulled.
This will be my first attempt at a rebuild...
Meantime, there is plenty of body work to be done...
I need to drain all the fluids from the tranny, transfer and diffs, see what they're condition is...
Any other checks when I get the engine out?
I plan on towing it to a car wash to power wash it to hell!!

That is all for now
:chug:
Also flush the brake fluid, old fluid attracts water and will corrode and mess up your lines. I've read people have flushed the lines and ran wd40 thru the system to save it for storage but I'm not sure new brake fluid would flush the wd40 out completely. Me I drain the system and clean and store the MC. Then replace all the lines during the build up.

Also if it's gonna be a bit before rebuild take pics of everything you remove and label and bag everything. Trust me most builds fail due to people being overwhelmed by the big picture instead of looking at it as alot of small jobs.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom