What gears?

What gears?

peep6543

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1966 Jeep CJ5, 2003 BMW E46 330Xi
Hey folks,

After a body-on resto-resurrection this spring my '66 has been on the road the past month with virtually no problems :chug:. Stock 3-speed but at pretty high RPM's on 3rd I'm really only running about 45 or so and I don't think I want to go much faster than that. I'm not an idiot, I know nobody can identify what gears I'm running without pulling them out and all but I'm curious if anyone has any insight into a common gear down number a P.O. may have put in? 1st goes up to about 15, 2nd to about 25 and 3rd to about 45ish. I don't plan on using it on the freeway just puttin around but I'm starting to really think the gears aren't what Jeep put in it 44 years ago. Thanks, happy Jeeping.

jack up the rear end and turn the drive shaft by hand.:cool:
Hey folks,

After a body-on resto-resurrection this spring my '66 has been on the road the past month with virtually no problems :chug:. Stock 3-speed but at pretty high RPM's on 3rd I'm really only running about 45 or so and I don't think I want to go much faster than that. I'm not an idiot, I know nobody can identify what gears I'm running without pulling them out and all but I'm curious if anyone has any insight into a common gear down number a P.O. may have put in? 1st goes up to about 15, 2nd to about 25 and 3rd to about 45ish. I don't plan on using it on the freeway just puttin around but I'm starting to really think the gears aren't what Jeep put in it 44 years ago. Thanks, happy Jeeping.

The gear ratio is the relationship of the number of revolutions in vs. the number of revolutions out. See how many turns of the drive shaft you require to make the wheel turn once. From what you have said I am guessing 4 and a little bit to make one wheel revolution.:cool:

Ok thanks IO, but what exactly will that determine?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom