What parts from other vehicles will fit a 79 CJ???

What parts from other vehicles will fit a 79 CJ???

Rescue Diver

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ-7 with a fiberglass body and 1982 wide track axles, 258 I-6 with a 1995 4.0 head, HEI distributor, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, T-18 wide ratio tranny, Super Lift Springs and 33s, a 1997 BMW 328i, and a 2010 REDLINE CONQUEST TEAM Cyclocross Bike. :)
Jeeps have so many parts from GM Ford and Chrysler in them. Does anyone know if any of the following will be an exact fit or at least work for a CJ7 with a AMC 304 , but from a different vehicle?

Distributor

Steering Gear Box

Engine side of the wiring harness (Just the under the hood part)

Emergency brake pedal and hardware

Rear brake drums (They're 10 inch with 5.5 inch lug pattern I believe)

Steering gearbox can be had from many GM cars and truck from the late 70's era but the turn ratio is different on some. I got one from GM Renault one time for $50.00

Jeeps have so many parts from GM Ford and Chrysler in them. Does anyone know if any of the following will be an exact fit or at least work for a CJ7 with a AMC 304 , but from a different vehicle?

Distributor

Steering Gear Box

Engine side of the wiring harness (Just the under the hood part)

Emergency brake pedal and hardware

Rear brake drums (They're 10 inch with 5.5 inch lug pattern I believe)

The Distributor from any 290,AMC 304 ,343,360,390,401 AMC V8 will bolt in.
as Kane said with the steering box.
The rest is vehicle specific.

The things like the Ignition solenoid,heater fan motor, power steering pump, brake booster, master cylinder, transmissions, differentials, steering columns can all be sourced from non-AMC vehicles.

The Distributor from any 290,AMC 304 ,343,360,390,401 AMC V8 will bolt in.
as Kane said with the steering box.
The rest is vehicle specific.

The things like the Ignition solenoid,heater fan motor, power steering pump, brake booster, master cylinder, transmissions, differentials, steering columns can all be sourced from non-AMC vehicles.

Thanks Kane and Longhorn!

The steering box is the most important since they're really proud of them even with an old core to hand over, which I don't have.

I'd read that a 79 Grand Prix or other gm cars from that era steering box would work but wanted to confirm that. Any idea if the bolts will line up for the original mounts and if it'll still take the same drop pitman arm when I do the lift?

How about the engine portion of the wiring harness? Would a wagoneer or cherokee with a AMC 304 from around the same year take the same under hood part of the harness?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom