What T case shift patern goes 4H-2H-N-2L-4L

I have a 78 CJ5 T-150 and what I thought was a Dana 20 but the shift patern is 4H-2H-N-2L-4L from front to back.

WHAT THE :censored:? I have never heard of that on any application... but i am not a CJ genius like any of these other guys... I am curious to see what this really is...:popcorn:

I know that I have the twin stick on the Dana 300 , but you would notice having 2 sticks on your and you didnt mention it, the twin stick is the only thing i have heard of to be able to do 2L...

A friend of mine also claims to have the same single stick shift pattern on a 79 CJ5 he just got (with a 401 engine & 4 speed). As far as I know, he hasn't been able to confirm what the Transfer Case is -- I'll find out if he has any more information that might also apply to yours.

A friend of mine also claims to have the same single stick shift pattern on a 79 CJ5 he just got (with a 401 engine & 4 speed). As far as I know, he hasn't been able to confirm what the Transfer Case is -- I'll find out if he has any more information that might also apply to yours.

Im completely pulling this out off my arse, so dont trust it... but it should give you something to think about.

On my Dana 300 (which i believe yours MAY be) there are 2 shafts for the shifter, one for the rear diff, and one for the front. They link up to a single stick with a weird V-shaped piece. Now a normal Dana 300 is (front to back) 4L 2H N 4H. when i installed my twin stick I now have 2 sticks (one off of each shaft) the left hand one is for the rear diff, and the right hand one is for the front shaft. Each stick only has 3 positions, forward is low, mid is neutral, and rear is high (for each stick) the reason there is only 3 positions with the twin and 4 with the single is i believe there is either some room to move in the V-shaped piece, allowing one pin to move and the other to stay put (allowing it to move from 4wd to 2wd or N... now this is my thought, could there be something wrong with the V-shaped piece or any of the linkage?

If this makes any sense to you I will be surprised, if i am dead wrong someone please let me know so i can adjust my post as not to confuse anyone further! thanks!

:chug:

FYI = where are you CJ? you always chime in about 3 minutes after each post, but have not seen your response to this one yet! Are you having issues with the crackberry?

The Dana 20 TC has a position where 2L is possible. Mine has it, as do a few others on this site.
It seems to be caused by worn shifter parts on the TC. Its not a factory option as you would like to think.
There is an old post on this somewhere on the site. It probably has a little more information about it.

FYI = where are you CJ? you always chime in about 3 minutes after each post, but have not seen your response to this one yet! Are you having issues with the crackberry?
In DFW! YES!

Hard to reply while in the ar!

Posted from my CrackBerry.

Does this help?twin stick.jpg It clearly shows just 3 notches on
each shaft. I converted both my rigs to twin stick to have 2 low or front only.

I've never seen a Dana 300 shift rail with more than three notches.

I brought my Jeep out this weekend and discovered that I have the exact same pattern on Transfer Case ??? My case is a single stick also, I was told it was posssibly a Dana 300 , still trying to get confirmation on this, if you go to the "Help Decifering these numbers" tread on here you can see some of the info I got, I also posted a couple of pics where you can compare to yours?

I brought my Jeep out this weekend and discovered that I have the exact same pattern on Transfer Case ??? My case is a single stick also, I was told it was posssibly a Dana 300 , still trying to get confirmation on this, if you go to the "Help Decifering these numbers" tread on here you can see some of the info I got, I also posted a couple of pics where you can compare to yours?

PS> I found this piece of information which may help you out? but it sounds like what we have? The Dana Spicer Model 300 Transfer Case - Novak Conversions

Does everyone have me on their ignore list lately? :laugh:
The Dana 20 TC has a position where 2L is possible. Mine has it, as do a few others on this site.
It seems to be caused by worn shifter parts on the TC. Its not a factory option as you would like to think.
There is an old post on this somewhere on the site. It probably has a little more information about it.

why are you all hung up on the Dana 300 case? Its more than likely he has a Dana 20 'case, which can have a position as described. Even Novak says its possible.

Hes got a '78 CJ5 so
The Jeep Model 20 is found in these vehicles:

• 1962 to 1979: Full Size J-Series Jeeps
  • 1967 to 1973: C101 & C104 Commandos
  • 1972 to 1979: CJ5 , CJ6 & CJ7
and a Dana 300 is used here
The Model 300 is found in these vehicles:

• 1980 to 1986: CJ5 , CJ6 & CJ7
  • 1980 IH Scout
and like I said in my earlier post, worn parts can cause it to go into a 2wd low range gear, also possible with a twin stick set-up.

There is an interlock pin between the shifter rails. Removal of this interlock allows for the added function of 2wd/Low and front-wheel-drive High or Low to the 20 - if you have the "twin-stick" version (see below) of the 20.
The Dana Spicer Model 20 Transfer Case - Novak Conversions

It has to be a 20 the 300 has 4 low up front and 4 high in the rear.

Does everyone have me on their ignore list lately? :laugh:

why are you all hung up on the Dana 300 case? Its more than likely he has a Dana 20 'case, which can have a position as described. Even Novak says its possible.

Hes got a '78 CJ5 so
and a Dana 300 is used here
and like I said in my earlier post, worn parts can cause it to go into a 2wd low range gear, also possible with a twin stick set-up.

The Dana Spicer Model 20 Transfer Case - Novak Conversions

It apears you are correct :notworthy::notworthy: LOL after this CJ and I had a discussion and looked at the pictures of mine and determined that it is indeed a 20 and not a 300 I have, I am going to do a rebuild and add the twin stick set up I think :D

I've never seen a Dana 300 shift rail with more than three notches.
I wonder if we are the ones not looing at this correctly. The 300 can be both single stick or dual stick correct? I wonder if that is a single stick and the pin between the 2 shift rods is gone making it rock back and forth?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom