t 176 4 speed
Dana 300
4" suspension lift
"upgrade".team rush ignition
Weber 32/36 carb
Holley fuel regulator
new besttop top
nutter bypass
Hey guys i got a 85 CJ7 with a 4 speed and would like to know what tranny is this.... the po said its was a t 5 he had installed but its a 4 speed not 5 so i am thinking its a t 4 but not sure here is some pic of it.. sorry best i can do with this cwll phone soon as i get my other cam working i try tio get some better pics.

Man I can't tell from the pic's.
If you can grab any #'s off it, I can better help.

Looks like a T-176 to me, which, unless it was swapped out, would be correct for a 1985 CJ.

In fact, looking back at the piks, Im pretty sure it is a 176. The T-4 has ribs on the outside case, and the 176 is a smooth body tranny. If It's an aluminum body 4 speed, Im going with T-176 .

Last edited:
only number i can pull off the tranny is 09601203 which is stamp on the right case and not real sure of the number cause it hard to see... all so there a metal tag on the left side but i cant pull any number off of it. trying to get some number but its real hard as i am sick as a dog and should not be out in the cold

ok got the number sorry about taking so long but this flu or other illness got me where i cant breath, but the number is c2604206 so this is a t 176 now is this tranny worth keeping... should i up grade later so far it works prefix other than it looks like its leaking but so hard to tell, looks like the rear main is leaking tranny and Transfer Case .. so much oil i cant tell whats is leaking and what not

ok got the number sorry about taking so long but this flu or other illness got me where i cant breath, but the number is c2604206 so this is a t 176 now is this tranny worth keeping... should i up grade later so far it works prefix other than it looks like its leaking but so hard to tell, looks like the rear main is leaking tranny and Transfer Case .. so much oil i cant tell whats is leaking and what not

The swap is entirely up to you, and what you want out of your jeep. But the T-176 tranny is a very good medium duty tranny. I run one myself, as do several others here.

will in that case ill keep it. not planning on doing any rock climbing just a lil week end trail riding and street use.

Yeah you definately have the better of the late Cj 4spds. Good Transmission even behind a stock V-8.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom