What Tranny is this?

What Tranny is this?

Out of my mind CJ5

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
74 CJ5
scrap built CJ7
I got a tranny and Transfer Case from the junkyard today out of a full size cherokee. the part i dont know is what model it is. it is some borg warner 4-speed with reverse all the way to the right and up. it is linked to a dana Transfer Case and was bolted to a 360. it weighs more than two people could lift two feet also. it was in a 79. does anybody have any ideas? any help is appreciated

i have found that they do sell a short shaft kit for the Transmission . i have never done ANYTHING with a Transmission other than destroy it. how hard would it be to rebuild one of these? and ha antbody here done it

i have found that they do sell a short shaft kit for the Transmission . i have never done ANYTHING with a Transmission other than destroy it. how hard would it be to rebuild one of these? and ha antbody here done it

As far as transmissions go, it's not hard to rebuild. But there are a few specialized tools (gear pullers, bearing press) that make the job possible (or at least easier). A good manual is necessary before you tear into one.

If you know your way around a complete set of tools, you should be able to do it. If you haven't done much beyond changing oil, I wouldn't recommend it as a first job without some assistance.

If it is from a 1979 Cherokee then the Transmission will be a T-18 mated to a Dana 20 Transfer Case . The Transmission will have a 1” adaptor at the back of the tranny (it is really part of the T-18 ) and a “Texas” bolt pattern for he Dana 20 . (The bolt pattern resembles the points of the State of Texas) If by chance you did not see the vehicle the Transmission /xcase came out of and there is about a 9” adaptor with a round connection to the Transfer Case at the back of the tranny then chances are it came out of a J20 truck (still assumes 1979) and what you most likely have is a T-18 /NP208 combo.

A short shaft can be swapped in at the front with not too much trouble.

i pulled the tranny myself and it was in a full size cherokee. it does have the one inch spacer at the back and the 5 inch spacer up front. would i have to buy a new short shaft kit or will the one out of a T-15 fit. going into a CJ7 how neccessary is it to have the short shaft. i Have SOA on my jeep would it make the rear shaft too short if i left it long shaft

the input shaft is the problem, too long.
check the 1st gear ratio, put it in gear and turn the rear U joint, something in the neighborhood of 4.5 to one, as I recall.:cool:
T-18 is a 1 ton truck tranny, if you brake it, the people will be amazed.
you will need new drive shafts too I believe.:D

i pulled the tranny myself and it was in a full size cherokee. it does have the one inch spacer at the back and the 5 inch spacer up front. would i have to buy a new short shaft kit or will the one out of a T-15 fit. going into a CJ7 how neccessary is it to have the short shaft. i Have SOA on my jeep would it make the rear shaft too short if i left it long shaft

I recommend re-shafting the front. Technically since it is going into a CJ7 you could absorb the 5” spacer at the front of theT18 but with a spring over the drive shaft angle is increased dramatically; the more rear drive shaft length you can get the better. I don’t remember for sure off hand what bolt pattern the front adaptor is but I think it is a T-15 so you could bolt it to your bell housing but for sure if you snag the bell housing from the donor, it will bolt up to your AMC motor and then you could install the tranny as is.

if i left the spacer on the tranny where would that put my shifters in relation to stock or with a short shaft?

if i left the spacer on the tranny where would that put my shifters in relation to stock or with a short shaft?

To leave the spacer in would push everything back 5” from stock and you will need to cut new holes in the floor plate. If you install the short shaft and use the FSJ Dana 20 with the T-18 everything will be as stock

alright thank you thats what i want to do. does anybody know where to get a short shaft kit from. i heard parts mike might have it?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom