What transmission ?

What transmission ?

blkstx87

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ 7 Renegade 258 6cyl
I have a 1984 CJ7 inline 6 automatic Transmission . The Transmission started making ticking noise yesterday. I am pretty sure it is a 4speed, or 3 speed w/od there are 3 shifts after 1st. It has no tag on it. Some say tf350 others say tf 904 any ideas? Rebuild price was crazy. Rebuild kit not to bad. Any ifo would be appreciated. Thanks

A CJ7 with an OD tranny?:confused:

If your tranny is original, then the three shifts you feel after starting from a stop indicate there is real problem here. CJ's never came with 4 speed autos., only 3 speeds.

you're probably feeling the lock-up torque converter
3 speed with lock-up converter
hmm....did the CJ models use a lock-up converter, I don't recall now that I think about it

Last edited:
If its the factory Transmission , it is a 999, 3 speed, good tranny, very low geared and great off road. Definately worth a rebuild. Put a deep sump pan on it with the filter extension kit. You can get it from Summit racing. It uses the same pan as the 904. I have this Transmission in my 83, very good off road.

Nice to hear this. Im putting one of these in the Scrambler. Thanx for the tip.

I wanted to know the length of the 727 used in jeeps and the gear ratios.

I don't know the length off the top of my head and I don't want to crawl under my truck to measure mine right now. I know it's at least a few inches shorter than a GM Turbo 400 . Closer to a TH350 but I don't know exactly.

But I do know the gear ratios. 1st = 2.45; 2nd = 1.45; 3rd = 1.00.

Some models have a lockup TC, most do not.

I don't know the length off the top of my head and I don't want to crawl under my truck to measure mine right now. I know it's at least a few inches shorter than a GM Turbo 400 . Closer to a TH350 but I don't know exactly.

But I do know the gear ratios. 1st = 2.45; 2nd = 1.45; 3rd = 1.00.

Some models have a lockup TC, most do not.

Sorry for the hijack I was just trying to figure out the difference in length between my tf727 in my GW and the NV2550 I want to replace it with. If it is somewhere between the th 400 and 350 in length then looks like it may almost be the same length. I don't want to have to pay for new drive shafts if I can avoid it.

Sorry for the hijack I was just trying to figure out the difference in length between my tf727 in my GW and the NV2550 I want to replace it with. If it is somewhere between the th 400 and 350 in length then looks like it may almost be the same length. I don't want to have to pay for new drive shafts if I can avoid it.

Driveshaft modification is really pretty easy and not at all expensive. It's a lot cheaper than new driveshafts.

It's worth it to have a shop modify and re-balance your driveshafts when you do a Transmission swap. I'm sure there's a shop somewhere near you that can do it.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom