wheel joint?

wheel joint?

dalefan88

Crazy Sr. Respected Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 cj5 258, t150, dana 20 transfer case, dana 30 front, 20 rear,warn hubs,2.5" procomp lift,teamrush,msd box,mc2100 carb,hedman header,clifford intake,optima battery, ford shock towers.
i been fighting with the wheel joint on the driver side front of the jeep. its a Dana 30 . the first u joint i cracked a cap putting it in. the second joint i get on the axle and the caps stick out and wont let it slide through the spindle.:mad: i guess friday i will go and buy our expensive one. i didnt want to get this one cause you can grease it. hopefully this one will be right. anyone ever have this with your wheel joint and where do you get them from. thanks.

I only buy Spicer u-joints (factory). I get mine from Morris 4x4 as they are one day shipping for me.

Now, I just had to buy some new axles for my CJ as I needed to change the u-joints and - since they had been in there for 30+ years they did NOT want to be removed. I ruined the axle trying to press the u-joints out so - replacement axles were needed...

If you want, I have two brand new in the box greasable u-joint (I just got from Morris) -->> Universal Joint Spicer Greaseable*8126637S-G I can send you. Let me know!

i been fighting with the wheel joint on the driver side front of the jeep. its a Dana 30 . the first u joint i cracked a cap putting it in. the second joint i get on the axle and the caps stick out and wont let it slide through the spindle.:mad: i guess friday i will go and buy our expensive one. i didnt want to get this one cause you can grease it. hopefully this one will be right. anyone ever have this with your wheel joint and where do you get them from. thanks.

If you havent got the caps at least flush with the axle material, its a good thing that it wont go in thru the spindle! It would self-destruct in a couple miles...Make SURE the caps sit flush in the axles! Also make double sure the axle area is clean, so nothing is hanging the caps up from sitting correct.

dang cj that is a expensive joint. the highest price one at my work is 19.88 i will try that one first on friday when i get paid. then i will think about that one. im going to get a lift hopefully this weekend:D and need to get this axle back in.

dang cj that is a expensive joint. the highest price one at my work is 19.88 i will try that one first on friday when i get paid. then i will think about that one. im going to get a lift hopefully this weekend:D and need to get this axle back in.
DF - I'll sell them for what ever - same price you can get the off brand ones for... If I don't sell them they go on a shelf probably never to be used again. The axles I ordered do not use them so they are worthless to me.

Send me a PM, I'll ship em out to you - if you can use them then when you have $$ send it... No hurry!

I hate to see good $$ throw after bad parts!

Oh yea, they are expensive but they will most likely last another 50 years and most of all - the FIT the first time! :)

fit right the first time sounds good right know. lol. i am becoming a pro at popping those suckers in and out now and taking everything off the spindle.:eek:

Now, I just had to buy some new axles for my CJ as I needed to change the u-joints and - since they had been in there for 30+ years they did NOT want to be removed. I ruined the axle trying to press the u-joints out so - replacement axles were needed...

Glad my husband isn't the only one. He beat the ever living :censored: out of the axles when the last u joint he tried would not come out. Then it went flying across the lawn.

Good times :chug:

Glad my husband isn't the only one. He beat the ever living :censored: out of the axles when the last u joint he tried would not come out. Then it went flying across the lawn.

Good times :chug:
I'm rolling on the floor! We all know about those troublesome parts... CJes = WORK!!! :)

Well, do not laugh right now!

Take coke to get these rusty not moving parts going.

When I hear that years ago, but -believe me or not- Coca Cola dropped on a rusty nut, 15 minutes waiting time and you can get it. Even if it has not moved since 30 years.

Coke also works to get grease out of your work clothes...But thats a whole 'nuthr thread! :laugh:

sweet. good idea. i drink a ton of coke.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I do not drink Coke. I only use it for rusty things like nuts. :notworthy:

And, well not for the Jeep only in the House, because I bought a rebuilt Jeep and an old house. The last thing is to fix.

well I'm trying to keep the weight down on my Jeep would diet Coke work? :laugh::laugh:
seriously i have done that before and it does work now i use PB blaster.

I thought I could learn something about my Jeep here to help myself.

Seems that I have to give household tricks away.

Diet coke is not working for it. And by the way it tastes awful.

I used to have WD-40 in the house.

yeah ,Ive heard of that too. It works on old chrome bumpers too when you would hate to touch it with any sand paper...pb blaster kicks rust good I agree

tapping out a u-joint ain't all that bad but a second hand or bench vise works best..remember metal to metal causes ringing inthe piece you're workin on this shocks the rust out too.. Don't do it on wood or it will disapate the energy and you won't get anywhere

also a little heat around the side of the cap closest to the yoke expands the material around the cap, just be ready with the hammer and drift to hit it while its hot . Dont hit the yoke ear for it will require cleaning up with a round file for install of your new u-jiont.. and if it doesn't move you need to wait for it to cool because the cap will absorb this heat in a short time and become tight just don't pour any water on it ,it will cause the metal to become brittle. just wait and try again later when you can touch it with the bare hand

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks