Where can I find D44 axles?

Where can I find D44 axles?
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
82 CJ7 2 inch lift.
I would like to give my 82 CJ7 a new set strong Dana 44 axles with 3.73 or 4.01 gears so my jeep can have some balls and I can get some taller rubber. Where can I find such axles?

If you want a narrow track look under a 72? to 76 and CJ. Some one will correct the years, I am at work and don't have my references but whenever the Dana 20 Transfer Case came out the differential went to the center of the axle and the AMC20 came out in 77. They are not hanging from trees. A set of two piece axles and a truss and your AMC20 will do a pretty fair job and it's a lot easier to find. In fact you already have one.:cool:

let me look under my couch, nope no d44s under there, let me see, where would I look if I wanted a set of d44s? your couch? no . ahhhhhh, a wrecking yard, shows promise, a Jeep wrecking yard, yea thats it, now where would I find a link to a jeep wrecking yard, in the links section under parts?
yep, there is a few
good luck

If you want a narrow track look under a 72? to 76 and CJ. Some one will correct the years, I am at work and don't have my references but whenever the Dana 20 Transfer Case came out the differential went to the center of the axle and the AMC20 came out in 77. They are not hanging from trees. A set of two piece axles and a truss and your AMC20 will do a pretty fair job and it's a lot easier to find. In fact you already have one.:cool:

The narrow track axles where used until 1981 but Dana 44 narrow track axles where used from 1972 to 1975.

well damn, and the 72 was the year I wasn't sure of. the 44 I own, not in yet came out from under a 75 but it had a 76 tub.:cool:
The narrow track axles where used until 1981 but Dana 44 narrow track axles where used from 1972 to 1975.

You are going to love this, there is no greater satisfaction than building a rear end and have it not eat it self. How big a tires and what kind of differential?? The stock Dana 44 has an open differential.:cool:

I still have an 82 CJ7 with a Dana 300 Tcase. I've decided that my tranny is gonna last all summer and that I would rather get stronger axles with lower gearing so I can put some bigger rubber on my jeep.

You are going to love this, there is no greater satisfaction than building a rear end and have it not eat it self. How big a tires and what kind of differential?? The stock Dana 44 has an open differential.:cool:

I want to get some 33s, and I don't go in the deep mud or rock crawling so open diffs is fine for me. I have stock right now and I don't want to put the money into putting lower gears in the axles if I can just spend a little more money and get something more sturdy. When it gets cold I'm gonna change my tranny. I'm looking to make my jeep stronger than it really has to be for the terrain I'm taking it through so I won't have to worry about anything breaking down on me.

the D 30 up front will handle 33s fine, as will a AMC20 with one peice axles and the tubes welded. If anything I would just do the rear then just in case. The 20 has wider gears than a 44 making them stronger, the weak point is the 2 peice axles and the tubing. and if you do not push it, well no prob.

Thats actually pretty helpful. I have a Dana 30 front and a AMC20 rear. I'm not too familiar with those. Would those be pretty durable? I know the Dana 44 is a really good axle.
I have run 33s on D30s for more years than I can count
the problem with the Dana 20 shows up when pushed. If you weld around where the inner tube hits the pumpkin and get 1 piece axles you will be in the same place as thousands of guys who run 33s on that axle. I am not say that if you go out and abuse it that it will hold up, but it is a tried and proven axle under a lot of jeeps. If I was not going abuse the jeep I would run the combo. If I was going hit a few rock gardens, then I would look for the 44 in the rear.
Plus you can axle truss that 20 if you want to.

I have run 33s on D30s for more years than I can count
the problem with the Dana 20 shows up when pushed. If you weld around where the inner tube hits the pumpkin and get 1 piece axles you will be in the same place as thousands of guys who run 33s on that axle. I am not say that if you go out and abuse it that it will hold up, but it is a tried and proven axle under a lot of jeeps. If I was not going abuse the jeep I would run the combo. If I was going hit a few rock gardens, then I would look for the 44 in the rear.
Plus you can axle truss that 20 if you want to.

I did a little research and to make the 20 in the rear strong enough I'd need to get one piece tubes and weld them which costs 350+ for a single side. I think I'd rather just pay for a 44 in the rear. The Dana 30 in the front seems like it can take some abuse though. I think I'm just going to put a 44 in the rear if I can find one for a good deal and then put 3.73 gears front and rear. One question though, does the Dana 44 have the same bolt pattern as the 20? I have a 5x5.5 front and rear. I am going to keep the 31s until they run out of tread, which will probably be a while seeing as I bought them in december and the jeep doesn't see the road for more than 5 miles a day. I'm running Bridgestone dueler apt's right now. They get the job done for the trails I'm on right now. There isn't much mud here in NC, just a lot of sandy trails. I wish I was more knowledgeable on this subject but I guess that comes with time. I'm only 18 so I have a lot of that.

keep hanging here and you will learn a lot
ok so you want a 44, yes the problem with the tubes will be solved, so is your jeep a narrow or wide track? that is the question to answer then start sourcing at local salvage yards, keep you rear brakes and backing plates.
good luck

In 82 they switched to wide track, but they are interchangeable. I could use either one but I'd prefer to get another wide track just to keep it simple

Look for a 86 CJ7 Dana 44 (note only some 86's have a Dana 44

Thats the only Dana 44 that is a true drop in for the rear. Everything else will be the wrong width.
There's really nothing wrong with the AMC20 you have, if you are only going to run 33's or 35's, buy one piece axles for $300 get the tubes welded $50 and run it.

Thats the only Dana 44 that is a true drop in for the rear. Everything else will be the wrong width.
There's really nothing wrong with the AMC20 you have, if you are only going to run 33's or 35's, buy one piece axles for $300 get the tubes welded $50 and run it.

If that is the best option then I will go with that. All of you have more experience than me and I trust that. Can I get both tubes for 300 or is it 300 a piece? How difficult would that be to install?

Can I get both tubes for 300 or is it 300 a piece? How difficult would that be to install?

I'm not sure what you mean by tubes. I'm only talking about changing the axles which costs less than 300 for both sides.
It's true that the tubes are weak but if thats what worries you than you could truss it alot cheaper than retubing it.
A Dana 44 would be a better bet in the long run BUT finding one from a 86 is not easy and they bring top dollar when they do pop up.
Scout and waggie 44's are only about 4-6" wider and cheaper. But there is quite a bit of fab work that needs to be done to make them work.
I have a 20 in my cj with a 350 chevy engine and 33's. I play in the rocky trails more than the mud. It has held up for 6 years now. The only thing I did was put 1 piece axles in it.

i thought you could get wides from early j series my buddy picked up front and rear of those for under 200 but he hasnt installed them yet..or you can go like mine and throw chevy 1tons under it:D

i thought you could get wides from early j series my buddy picked up front and rear of those for under 200 but he hasnt installed them yet..or you can go like mine and throw chevy 1tons under it:D

How hard are the one tons to install? I have only seen one J on the road since I've been in NC. Its crazy.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom