Wht speed do you shift your 4 speed at?

Wht speed do you shift your 4 speed at?

CjDan

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 jeep cj7 Inline 6
My rpm guage does not work and im just wondering when other people shift so i can get and idea of when too. right now i go into 2nd around 10 mph, 3rd at 25mph, and 4th at 45mph. Does this sound about right, i just want to hear what others have to say, i usually just wait until the engine is starting to whine high

before anyone could give you an answer, we would need to know what gear ratio and what size tires you have.

I have no tach and would not pay too much attention when shifting if I did. You basicaly want to shift when the engine will pull the next higher gear, all about keeping the engine in the power band without lugging or over revving it. For someone to tell you what speed that is would be impossible for many factors, gearing, tire size, going uphill or level, engine power output, etc.
Are you able to shift to your next higher gear before it "starts whining too high"?

the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l is a low RPM motor. if it is starting to screem you are way too high. see what the lowest RPM you can shift is with out lugging, that is where most of your power is.:cool:

BTW tachometers are not prohibitively expensive & a good investment.;)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom