2lostspace

Jeep-CJ.com Moderator
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
82 CJ-7
Engine 258
Transfer case dana 300
When I got my soft top for the 7 it included a set of narrow track axles. I know the rear is a Dana 44 not sure of the front. I got all of that for 300. I was thinking about putting the narrow track set up in my 82 CJ7 but is this taking a step backwards? What are some of the pros and cons on doing this swap? If I do the swap I am going to do a SOA on the thing as well so that I can run 33 on it.

Any help would be great.
:confused::confused:

Just personal preference I think. When I built mine, I wanted the old school look, and plugged in narrow gear. Front was a direct bolt in, For the back I only needed to move the new spring perches out and weld them in. I like the older narrow look. BTW, your front will be a Dana 30

if your going to SOA it, stay with the wide tracks. It'll help with stability issues and steering angles and clearances.
IMO, yea its a step back to swap in NT axles if your already WT. (this from the guy still running NT under the CJ5 :laugh:)

I have heard the wider is better for stability arguement over the years, and have owned both the wide and narrow track axles in a few diferent Jeeps. I could not for the life of me ever tell any diference from one to the other. The actual diference in width between the two is only 4.3" for the front, and 5.1" for the rear. Which breaks down to about 2, and 2.5" of width per side. Hardly enough to really provide much in the line of roll protection. Or none that I could ever tell anyway. I don't know how how the little bit of extra width could help with geometry, but then I am speaking from ignorance, having never done a spring over myself.

The choice is yours. The only reason AMC went to the wider axles was in response to the roll over rate of the CJ by persons thinking Jeeps were some type of a sports car and the 60 Minutes report on the same. The narrow track worked for many years and is a sound design within its intended use. Where you are located and all that area to off road your Jeep the little width isn't going to make any noticeable difference as a matter of fact a narrower track may be of benefit to you. With narrow track axles if the width is an issue, as you add lift, you can do as AMC did in 80 add wider rims and tire. Besides most likely the gear ratios are lower in the narrow track axles and you get the 44 to boot.

NT - four inches are for the government peeps - narrow is better... LOL :)

I have both. Cant tell the difference honestly. Now from a CJ5 to a CJ7 to a CJ8 yeah you can tell plenty of differences. :) Id use wichever set has the gear ratio you prefer, or the nt since the rear is a Dana 44 and the wide is a AMC20 .

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom