Will a T-18 bolt in as a direct replacement for a T-150?

Will a T-18 bolt in as a direct replacement for a T-150?

Rescue Diver

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ-7 with a fiberglass body and 1982 wide track axles, 258 I-6 with a 1995 4.0 head, HEI distributor, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, T-18 wide ratio tranny, Super Lift Springs and 33s, a 1997 BMW 328i, and a 2010 REDLINE CONQUEST TEAM Cyclocross Bike. :)
Will a T-18 bolt in as a direct replacement for a T-150 ?

Re: Transmission and Transfer Case Variants and Types in CJ's (53-86)

No, first there are 2 inches difference in length, so drive shaft work will have to be done, moving cross brace will need to be done
plus acoording to what teh T-18 was mated to, the input shaft could be different

Last edited:
Re: Transmission and Transfer Case Variants and Types in CJ's (53-86)

No, first there are 2 inches difference in length, so drive shaft work will have to be done, moving cross brace will need to be done
plus acoording to what teh T-18 was mated to, the input shaft could be different

Maybe I should have worded this different. I'm just wanting to know if a T-18 will bolt to the T-150 bell housing and the Dana 20 . Everything else like driveshaft length, clutch disc, pilot bushing and the cross member are easy to take care of.

Thanks!

It should bolt up to the bellhousing ok some minor mod to throwout fork I believe will be necessary the main shaft length needs to be verified and a 500 dollar adapter will be required for the Dana 20 from Novak or Advanced Adapters and also a new pilot bushing (Novak)

It should bolt up to the bellhousing ok some minor mod to throwout fork I believe will be necessary the main shaft length needs to be verified and a 500 dollar adapter will be required for the Dana 20 from Novak or Advanced Adapters and also a new pilot bushing (Novak)

I'd much rather just buy a Dana 300 if that's what will fit a T-18 than give $500 to Advance Adapters. I'm confused then. A 79 CJ came with either a T-18 or a T-150 . Didn't both used a Dana 20 Transfer Case ? Is there more than one bolt pattern for a Dana 20 ??? Or are you talking about the ford version of a T-18 ? I'm looking at getting a T-18 that originally came in a jeep so I thought it would bolt right up to the Dana 20 .

I'd much rather just buy a Dana 300 if that's what will fit a T-18 than give $500 to Advance Adapters. I'm confused then. A 79 CJ came with either a T-18 or a T-150 . Didn't both used a Dana 20 Transfer Case ? Is there more than one bolt pattern for a Dana 20 ??? Or are you talking about the ford version of a T-18 ? I'm looking at getting a T-18 that originally came in a jeep so I thought it would bolt right up to the Dana 20 .

There is a Jeep T-18 , that has the right shaft, but they aren't easy to find.
The Scout Dana 300 has the Jeep Dana 20 "Texas Pattern", also getting hard to find.
The Ford T-18 is very plentiful, that is why the Advanced Adapter/Novak route is so popular.;)

There is a Jeep T-18 , that has the right shaft, but they aren't easy to find.
The Scout Dana 300 has the Jeep Dana 20 "Texas Pattern", also getting hard to find.
The Ford T-18 is very plentiful, that is why the Advanced Adapter/Novak route is so popular.;)

Fortunately I may have a line on a Jeep T-18 . Even if I'm able to nab it, I think I'll still need to get a clutch disk for a 1 1/16" 10 spline input shaft, and I'll have to mod the cross member if it doesn't already have the right holes, and get a shorter drive shaft. I really never was a fan of adapters. For what they charge for them, it would be cheaper and easier to sell my existing tranny and tansfer case and just buy the pair that I want.

The whole purpose of this thread was to find out if a Jeep T-18 will bolt to the bell housing and Dana 20 for a Jeep T-150 . And if not, to find out what other 4 speeds will if any.

I am half way through a T-15 swap to a T18a. Where the T-18 comes from makes all the difference. Jeep has two models, close ratio 4:1 and wide ratio 6.32:1. Mine,wide ratio, came out of a 1976 J20 Jeep pickup with a V8. It has the long input shaft which I had to change since I'm running it behind an I6 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . As luck would have it, because it came out of an earlier Jeep, my CJ5 is an '81, the T 18 was married to the Dana 20 already with adapter. I did have to get a new clutch assembly. If you have a Ford T 18, the bell housing should not be a problem but then you do need an adapter for the Dana 20 . There is a company in Auburn California called PartsMike. They have everything you need and more importantly they have the technical know how to let you know what works with what. You can go to their website, "partsmike.com", and get a lot of information in the technical section or how to get a hold of them. I still have to install the tranny but so far I have about $700.00 into the swap. That includes the T 18 with the Dana 20 , the short shaft kit, and the new clutch assembly with pilot bearing. It's been a while coming together but the end results for me will be well worth the time, effort and money. I am learning a lot about the drive train on my CJ. I am finding out that there are no easy answers or quick fixes. There is a lot of invaluable information in these forums though and jeep-cj.com is the best resource I have found. Good luck with your swap.

Yes I was refering to the Ford T-18 I should have asked but if I'm right Jeep or Ford will require an "adapter" for any Transfer Case you put on it (ie) a spacer of sorts, If it is out of a jeep you will need the one it has and if I'm not mis-take-in the Dana 300 input spline doesnt match the T-18 but if its out of a jeep with a 300 I would suppose it would have it already
first time trying to help hope not making things worse
I did some research even purchased a Ford 18A but ended up swapping my AMC 150 / 20 setup for a 176 / 300 w low gears still waiting for my new driveshafts but the rest is in and went pretty good.

Yes I was refering to the Ford T-18 I should have asked but if I'm right Jeep or Ford will require an "adapter" for any Transfer Case you put on it (ie) a spacer of sorts, If it is out of a jeep you will need the one it has and if I'm not mis-take-in the Dana 300 input spline doesnt match the T-18 but if its out of a jeep with a 300 I would suppose it would have it already
first time trying to help hope not making things worse
I did some research even purchased a Ford 18A but ended up swapping my AMC 150 / 20 setup for a 176 / 300 w low gears still waiting for my new driveshafts but the rest is in and went pretty good.

Let me know abut your issues with the swap- I have a T-176 & Dana 300 sitting on my bench waiting for the time/ place to tackle them.

Thanks- Bush

If you do any business with Novak or not you will find their information on the T-18 to be interesting. Another very possible 4 speed candidate is the NP435.:cool:
Novak Jeep Conversions - Home

Well- this swap should have happened months ago- but between my six month old daughter- and my jeep is still driving- I have not gotten to it yet. It's time will come, either the jeep will break or I'll get tired of looking at the parts.:cool:

sometimes life gets in the way. The Jeep will keep but a six month old daughter won't hang around long. The next thing you know she is a 25 year old daughter. Ask me how I know.:cool:

Well- this swap should have happened months ago- but between my six month old daughter- and my jeep is still driving- I have not gotten to it yet. It's time will come, either the jeep will break or I'll get tired of looking at the parts.:cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom