wont start im totaly lost

wont start im totaly lost

mike1970cj5

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1970 Cj-5 jeep, 223 v6 dauntless T14 transmision and a model dana 18 transfer case, 4 BFG ko tires
so i just bought a CJ5 1970 with a 225 duntless. well i was driven and doing a little 4x4 and while on flat ground the moter just died. at first i thought that it was the coil because i was not geting a spark so i got a coil and still no spark.....kinda when i turn the key off it gives just one spark and the engin wants to start i had all the fluids changed a few weeks ago(total cange out i brought it to oil can henrys and did the whole works) so now i got a ignition hopeing it was that from a old jeep that my buddys is partin out and that does the same thing???? im totaly lost at this point and the distributer cap is brand new and so are all the sparkplugs. im geting that last spark from the wire that it out of the coil to the distributer cap which its turning if that means anything. so my question is if anyone has had this one spark problem or any advice im straped for cash but i can try to some extra shifts.......

Your only getting one spark? Do you have electronic ignition or points?

its an electric ignition im assuming. and ya just one spark and when i turn the jeep off. almost like there is a spot that if i get it right i can get the jeep to run but because it only sparks when its being turned off there is no happy medium just the engin almost starting then off.....keep in mined that the jeep i get that second ignition from might have the same ignition prob becauses he said the jeep did not run which might have the same prob he just did not put 2 and 2 together......idk

with the ignition switch in run check voltage to ground from the red wire on the coil. If there is no voltage it may be the switch.:cool:
its an electric ignition im assuming. and ya just one spark and when i turn the jeep off. almost like there is a spot that if i get it right i can get the jeep to run but because it only sparks when its being turned off there is no happy medium just the engin almost starting then off.....keep in mined that the jeep i get that second ignition from might have the same ignition prob becauses he said the jeep did not run which might have the same prob he just did not put 2 and 2 together......idk

Are you getting spark while your'e cranking it.

no only just befor it turns off after you been cranking it. while the key is in and trying to start then if you just turn it off not just stop turning it if you turn it all the way off it will spark once out the top of the coil

it's really starting to sound like the switch.:(

does the rotor turn in the dist?

when you say switch you mean the ignition where the key is or the starter.....and i did try another key ingnition from a 77 jeep....sorry for the lack of knowlage

Your only getting one spark? Do you have electronic ignition or points?
he has a coil, it has points,not electronic

2 things, first check the capacitor in the dist to see if it is good, check the rotor to see if it is turning
the Dauntless Buick 225 V6 has dist problems that are its own, if it is nit the gm DIST AND IS THE PRESCOLITE, THEN IT HAS PROBLEMS AND MAY NEED TO BE CHANGED, A IF IT IS TURNING WE CAN GET IT RUNNING.
check to see if the ballast resister is on the firwall or if the PO somehow got rid of it, if he did you are burning up the ignition system.
You need to get a Chiltons manual for the early Jeeps and go through the ignition system to see if it is all there, then do a genral tune up on the system, points capacitor.roto cap and rotor, plus new wires, with out the ballast resister all of those could have been ruined.
good luck

what do you mean buy points? and what is the differnce, can i get electronic
Mike, an old coil and point ignition and a modern electronic are not the same or compatble, you need to identify what you have, A Hei is not going have a coil it is all inclusive.
I am trying to help here, go open the dist and see if it has points.

so when i took off the cap all i see is a squar and some wires that lead to the coil and when i try to turn it over it spins....i dont see any points its just a black square and there are a couple of wires..

so when i took off the cap all i see is a squar and some wires that lead to the coil and when i try to turn it over it spins....i dont see any points its just a black square and there are a couple of wires..
Do you have a digital camera??:cool:

Do you have a Chilton's or Haynes service manual??:cool:

i only have a phone and it wont send pics for some reason....

Do you have a Chilton's or Haynes service manual??:cool:
i have a CJ5 rebuilders manual the one with the blue jeep in front...and it says some stuff about the distributer that i shuld def change the stock one but the pic of the stock one and the one that book recamends dont look like mine

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom