Would this overhaul kit work on my 232?

Would this overhaul kit work on my 232?

aceves6

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 Jeep CJ5, 232...all I know thus far.
Yes thats pretty much everything under the head that you would replace in a rebuild.....you need to first send the motor to the machine shop and have it machined to find out what size pistons and bearings you need and then you will need to get the head reworked you could expect up to another $500 in machine work (including the valve job)....shop around prices vary drastically is there any reason your not going to a 4.0 or a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ?

If the motor runs and sounds good, let it roll. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.:D
put some miles on it and see what you have. there are plenty of places to spend money on your jeep, spend it on stuff you really need.:cool:

Yes thats pretty much everything under the head that you would replace in a rebuild.....you need to first send the motor to the machine shop and have it machined to find out what size pistons and bearings you need and then you will need to get the head reworked you could expect up to another $500 in machine work (including the valve job)....shop around prices vary drastically is there any reason your not going to a 4.0 or a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ?

Not sure what you mean? 4.0 or a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . Is there a kit to go to 4.0 or a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ?

If the motor runs and sounds good, let it roll. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.:D
put some miles on it and see what you have. there are plenty of places to spend money on your jeep, spend it on stuff you really need.:cool:

My thinking was, since it is so old I might as well do it... Since this is for my daughter I did not want the Jeep breaking down on her. I don't know what to look for in terms of damage.

Is this going to be your daughters first car??

I bought my CJ5 new in 1976, drove it every day for quite a few years. In 1984 I became the father of a baby girl. These are the two things I love more than anything else on this planet, the two things that I got right. I had always planned to give the CJ to my Daughter when the time came but when she grew to that age I did not do so.
the reasons are because the CJ5 is short narrow and tall, in other words totaly unforgiving of any mistake made at speed. It is also a clasic/antique vehical that is very hard to replace and requires more maintainence than most older cars. the deciding factor was the fact that it was capable of getting 14 MPG on a good day down hill with a tail wind.

I came to the conclusion that my daughter deserved a safe economical first car and my jeep deserved a driver that was experienced and would treat her with the care and respect she deserved.
If anything ever happened to either one of them because of my decision I would never be able to forgive myself.:cool:

I hate to lay this on you pal but as one dad to another and one jeep guy to another I think these are things you need to think abbout if you have not already. It's your call.:D

Not sure what you mean? 4.0 or a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l . Is there a kit to go to 4.0 or a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ?
Whew after IOPORT's bit this dosent seem important..I am a dad of a teen and feel the same way mine is getting a 5 star crash rated car first, However the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l is a larger newer more common version of you I6 and the 4.0 is the fuel injected version of the other 2 and is very plentiful in the junkyards and very adaptable fuel injection and all :chug:

I agree with IOPORT.CJs are not a good first vehical.They are old,temperamental and in most all cases no matter what is done to them not the most reliable.
If she is set on having Jeep I would find her a stock YJ.Seen one today on CL for $4100 with 80000 miles and a one owner.

^^^Ditto^^^

First chance any boys get there gona talk her into see'n how well her Jeep can climb and the thought of that scares me a bit.:eek:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom