YF Rebuild tips?

YF Rebuild tips?

nctom

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
77 CJ 7, 258 i6, 3 speed
Hi all,

I plan to rebuild my Carter 1bbl YF this week. It will be my first carb overhaul. I got the kit from my local parts shop, looks pretty doable.

Any tips on making the job more likely to succeed?
Should I get a can of Carb Dip - how long should it sit in there?

Thanks for your advice!
tm

I like to soak mine in a gallon can of carb cleaner for a day or two. You will be surprised at how much stuff you will soak out of the cast, not to mention all the little holes and crevices. something like this.:cool:

Parts Cleaners

PM CoreyYoungCj577 he is the resident YF expert, He should be back from the honeymoon before too long and ready to return to being a contributing member of society.:laugh:

I bought a can of that on the way to work today. Should be interesting what soaks out of this old carb. It sure is behaving badly. I'm really hoping to fix it without throwing a Weber at it.

the YF is a walk in the park. just make sure you have a well lit, comfortable area to work on. I put down a piece of incredibly cheep in door out door carpet on the bench so things can't roll away. and it soaks stuff up.:cool:

How much disassembly should I do before dipping it? Break it into thirds (air horn, middle part, throttle body) or remove every ding dang thing that moves first?

all the component parts, be careful with the jets , they are kind of soft. Make sure you have a screw driver that fits perfectly. try not to loose or break and gaskets or parts , they may come in handy down the road.

How much disassembly should I do before dipping it? Break it into thirds (air horn, middle part, throttle body) or remove every ding dang thing that moves first?

Thanks for the tips, y'all. I got it done and drove the jeep to work today!
It did not go perfectly the first time, but I got to learn more as a result. I need to tune the choke some more, but otherwise, I am good to go.

The more I rebuild, the more I understand, the more I trust this thing.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom